PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
If you can get a close-up of one of the leaves on that plant I will ask my son who is a plant scientist and he might have some thoughts for you.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
There is an app that I have used in the past. "PlantSnap"....just take a picture of a leaf or flower with your phone and it will identify the plant and give you other details about it.

Reactions: rogers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wanted to take botany as an undergrad, but the classes were full so I took vertebrae physiology with a bunch of med students, and some geology courses which I really enjoyed. But I have always missed botany courses. PlantSnap sounds intriguing. Does the mistletoe have a stem tapping into the soil, or is it entirely linked into the moisture and nutrients of the host tree? Never knowing saw it growing, really interesting.

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Wanted to take botany as an undergrad, but the classes were full so I took vertebrae physiology with a bunch of med students, and some geology courses which I really enjoyed. But I have always missed botany courses. PlantSnap sounds intriguing. Does the mistletoe have a stem tapping into the soil, or is it entirely linked into the moisture and nutrients of the host tree? Never knowing saw it growing, really interesting.
It's definitely tapped directly into the tree. I don't want it to hurt my tree and my wife is worried about it poisoning our dogs. I think I'll cut it down as soon as I can borrow a ladder that's tall enough.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
My plant scientist son said he suspects it's mistletoe, as corncobguy said. However, my son warns that it is a parasitic plant and it can harm your tree by pulling out nutrients and water. So - if you want to protect your tree, best get rid of the mistletoe.

Reactions: JMcQ
Status
Not open for further replies.