PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I recently bought this new pipe, and have only smoked it a few times. Today, I loaded it up, went outside, started smoking, and noticed that there was some sort of green growth on the briar. I stopped smoking thinking that it could be inside the bowl. I have never seen this on any of my pipes.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I am going to contact the manufacturer on Monday. Here are some photos (the green stuff doesn’t look as apparent in photos as it does to the naked eye):

A0FC2E09-4A4B-450F-8DEE-7422AA1B83FF.jpeg

B17E6540-05F8-49A4-95D4-26D1B998AA4D.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just cosmic spores. If you eat or smoke enough of them, you can bend the fabric of space and time which might be fun on a forum like this. Especially when people try and figure out how you're smoking so many rare unavailable blends.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m wondering if some natural oils or perhaps the oil finish is weeping out of the briar and reacting with the wax to give something like a mineral deposit or something.

That’s just a wild guess and absolutely not based on anything scientific or experience based, so take it for what it’s worth.

Or alien spores.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't see much of anything in the photo, as you say. What comes to mind is mold, mildew, or some residue of stain or other material used in finishing the pipe as someone else suggested. The green color might come from mixing stain and bowl coating (was there any?). I'd give it a few more bowls to see if it drys out and dissipates. If it starts to have distinct odor or flavor, I'd stop smoking it until you feel satisfied what it is and that it is over. Smoking the pipe, just that much heat, might resolve the issue. A dryer used to heat up the exterior might also work.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'd say, it's some polishing wax residue.

Beautiful blast BTW. May I ask, what make it is?
I'll second that. I had a commissioned super craggy pipe do that the first few smokes as it was cooling. It first got shiny (wax melting) then a very similar looking "foamy/sandy" residue as it cooled. The problem was remedied by giving it a brush with a toothbrush while smoking, which removed and/or redistributed the wax back into the briar.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll second that. I had a commissioned super craggy pipe do that the first few smokes as it was cooling. It first got shiny (wax melting) then a very similar looking "foamy/sandy" residue as it cooled. The problem was remedied by giving it a brush with a toothbrush while smoking, which removed and/or redistributed the wax back into the briar.
That should do it. Or if pipe is cool: Hot water and a toothbrush should also remove the discolored material.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It's not mold. It's plume.... :sher:

I'd wipe it down and sit it aside. If it returns, it's an alien invasion. If not, it was residue from something.

1584233517411.png

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Beautiful blast BTW. May I ask, what make it is?

That's a phenomenal blast. Who made the pipe?

I didn’t want to name the pipe maker in case this would reflect poorly on them, but it looks like everything is good to go.

The pipe maker is Blue Room Briars, and they are amazing. They used 50 + year old aged briar on this pipe, and most of their pipes are hand finished by artisan Jesse Jones, who works for them. The pipe in the photo has the most incredible draw, and from what I hear that is how they all are. They also sell great estate pipes. Scott is awesome, and he has provided me with top tier customer service. I could not recommend them enough. Plus, you are supporting an American small business.

Status
Not open for further replies.