PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Was just at an estate sale as it was winding down and they were just having you fill a box for $5. Got stuff worth at least that in household items, yard tools, a glass pipe stand, an old Czech tool, etc.. As I was leaving I saw this pipe and asked the cost. "Just throw it in the box.", they said. Cool.
Sorry for the cell pics. It's a "Red Dot" pipe, hardly smoked. Any good? Question... it's a screw in tendon and the mouthpiece doesn't line up right when screwed all the way in. How do I fix this.
kwOI5pu.jpg

P57Wqk6.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You must hold your head at a countering angle whenever smoking it... :nana:
I was told to wrap the threads in a protective rubber, then clamp it in a vise, gently warm the stem until it can be rotated into alignment.
I still haven't gone it yet. I just hold my head at the correct angle, ala Taco Neck Disease...
jay-roger.jpg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dots/do-1dotred.html
Check here. Check on this forum, I think it has directions on how to straighten the stem alignment. I want to say heat and turn counter clockwise, incrementally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member counseled me on straightening a similarly cocked Kaywoodie Drinkless stem by heating the shank with a hair dryer, and when the glue softened, gently but firmly turn the stem to the correct position. Worked like a charm, and I always think of the Forums member when I smoke this pipe. I didn't use a vise, and I think maybe doing it by hand gives you a better feel so you don't break the shank or stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I calculate your cost for that pipe as the calorie it took you to put the pipe in the box. Now, that's a deal.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had a Whitehall several years ago with a red dot. The stem worked like a Grabow Adjustomatic.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I've been doing some searching to find out about the pipe. It's not actually a red dot pipe as in having a red dot. It says "Red Dot" on the shank, like that's the brand. Haven't found anything on the search. Any Ideas? Haven't tried the repair or smoked it cockeyed :) yet.
I like the Czech tool. It's an older one. They did use to make things better. It *was* a haul. Machinist tape measure. Decent more recent hardware store tape measure. Hedge trimmers and a sickle which are old and thus made out of actual steel instead of crushed pop cans. Foot bath/massager for the not so little woman.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
That pipe looks like a Dr Grabow variation to me. Might have the adjustomatic stem, which you can freely turn to realign.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There's a pipe on Etsy right now that has the same stamp on it except the stem is lightly stamped "Haiti".

"Who Made That Pipe" says Whitehall made Red Dot, but I think yours is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.