PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I mean to post this a couple of weeks ago but...

Some may recall in another thread that I mentioned back in September that Brazilian customs in Rio had reject a parcel of tobacco pipes I'd ordered from smokingpipes.com for the rather odd reason that 'imports of e-cigarettes are not permitted'!

I got in touch with smokingpipes customer service to let them know what had happened; they offered a full refund when the parcel was returned but I asked if they could just repost it and to let me know the cost. Cassie Davison (customer services) said normally they would charge for the second shipping "but given the strange circumstances this time, we can reship this at no cost to you as a one-time courtesy".

Pipes arrived in Curitiba in October but still took a long time clearing customs (long enough for me to think "Oh no! Not again!" but they did finally clear customs and eventually got delivered to me on 22nd October.

Better late than never and many thanks to smokingpipes for their excellent service (and picking up the cost of the second set of postage).

(I've just ordered a Peterson Christmas Pipe but decided to order it from smokingpipes.eu in Dublin and have it sent to my brother in the UK; means I won't actually get it until May at the earliest - and then only if travel is possible - but it's less worry than having it stuck in, or rejected by, customs!)

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I hate smoking pipes, but they have the selection. I have spent thousands with them. I bought a lighter while back and the metal on the side was unfinished, and the sharp edge cut me. I threw it in the garbage. I was so pissed I shot them an email and informed them. Check what you are selling before you sell it. That was it. Didn't request a refund. I didn't ask for anything. Customer service responded. "we don't have time to check our products for defects." this was an expensive lighter. Garbage Customer service.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Love SPC, best in the business! I place 99% of my domestic orders with them. I’ve been ordering with them consistently for 11 years now... not one bad transactions... there is such a thing as bad customers though. :LOL:

It’s damn near impossible to please bad customers cause it seems they are the only ones that can get that big ol’ stick out of their arse, SPC can’t do that for ya!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have been strictly buying from smoking pipes for years now. After a few bad runs with the other place, I switched to them. Early last week, smoking pipes didn't have my two pounds of Ryback I wanted, so I tried the other place. Well, it shipped fast, but I got a letter that it was damaged. So I messaged them, and got no response. After contacting one of the front men, it was shipped over night to me. So they made good, but I'm unsure if I'll ever try it again. I'll just wait for smoking pipes to get my tobaccos in stock.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I hate smoking pipes, but they have the selection. I have spent thousands with them. I bought a lighter while back and the metal on the side was unfinished, and the sharp edge cut me. I threw it in the garbage. I was so pissed I shot them an email and informed them. Check what you are selling before you sell it. That was it. Didn't request a refund. I didn't ask for anything. Customer service responded. "we don't have time to check our products for defects." this was an expensive lighter. Garbage Customer service.
Yup, you should have asked for a replacement, or a refund, before getting angry. Mistakes happen, and they would have made it right.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Brazilian customs in Rio had reject a parcel of tobacco pipes I'd ordered
I've had them reject tobacco, which is automatically returned to the sender (at least they don't destroy it), but never pipes.

I had to pay taxes on a couple of pipes once. Of course, it was dealt with at the post office. After driving nearly an hour to get to Brooklin, I then had to wait nearly 3 hours at the post office for my ticket to come up. It was insane.

If anyone going into a post office in Brazil and seeing the rows of chairs in the waiting room wonders why in the hell would you have so many chairs in a fucking post office, that's why. I'm always amazed at what Brazilians will tolerate when it comes time to line up and wait for your number. Most people from North America would lose their goddamn minds waiting that long just to pick up a parcel that's about 10 feet behind the counter.

Glad you got your pipes!

Tabacaria Nacional in Moema has (or used to have) a good selection of pipes. Tobacco is hit and miss, depending on if their mule has recently been to the U.S. or Europe and smuggled some tins back. You'll pay a premium for the tobacco, but it's there in a pinch. Good selection of cigars, but the Cubans are overpriced. Some great restaurants in Moema, so you can tie in the visit with dinner.

Usually, I just order from them on the phone and pay the R$20 for the motoboy to bring them to my house. Good service.

What part of town do you live in?

Reactions: timelord

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've had them reject tobacco, which is automatically returned to the sender (at least they don't destroy it), but never pipes.

I had to pay taxes on a couple of pipes once. Of course, it was dealt with at the post office. After driving nearly an hour to get to Brooklin, I then had to wait nearly 3 hours at the post office for my ticket to come up. It was insane.

If anyone going into a post office in Brazil and seeing the rows of chairs in the waiting room wonders why in the hell would you have so many chairs in a fucking post office, that's why. I'm always amazed at what Brazilians will tolerate when it comes time to line up and wait for your number. Most people from North America would lose their goddamn minds waiting that long just to pick up a parcel that's about 10 feet behind the counter.

Glad you got your pipes!

Tabacaria Nacional in Moema has (or used to have) a good selection of pipes. Tobacco is hit and miss, depending on if their mule has recently been to the U.S. or Europe and smuggled some tins back. You'll pay a premium for the tobacco, but it's there in a pinch. Good selection of cigars, but the Cubans are overpriced. Some great restaurants in Moema, so you can tie in the visit with dinner.

Usually, I just order from them on the phone and pay the R$20 for the motoboy to bring them to my house. Good service.

Bela Vista; so pretty central.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey

Glad you got your pipes!

:ROFLMAO: Coming from Europe and having lived in Australia for 10 years; yes, Brazil is... ...'different'

Reactions: bnichols23

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Bela Vista; so pretty central.
Easy shot to the tobacco store on the metro.

I like Sao Paulo fine enough for the cultural things going on, and the food. One of the best cities in Brazil to get fed, in my opinion. Aside from the countryside, of course.

We've just had enough of it. I'll miss some things, but we're going to sell our house and will move to Minas Gerais. Of course, nobody is buying houses in Sao Paulo right now... The style is also not Brazilian. Ours is more European. Lots of glass, open spaces, big yard full of jungle plants, etc. I'll never understand the predominate architecture in Brazil and why people like it so blocky and barren, but whatever works for them.

I'm hoping to get back in December/January. Need to do a little maintenance on the house to get it ready for selling. Kind of tough finding reliable flights from North America right now though. I had a friend get his flight cancelled and rebooked 5 times before he eventually flew to Europe and then Brazil. It's tough.

I usually bring enough tobacco for 6-8 months when I go. I've had my bag go through the customs x-ray, but they haven't stopped me and checked yet. Doesn't seem too high risk. I definitely recommend stocking up whenever you leave. Tough to get good tobacco there sometimes.

In a pinch, check out one of the voodoo shops. They always have a kind of rope tobacco. Quite strong though, however it's inexpensive, so it's worth a try if you haven't already.

Reactions: timelord
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I would have sent it right back.They would've refunded you without question. Last year, I purchased a rather expensive pipe from them,and it would NOT pass a pipe cleaner.The drilling in the shank was 1/8" out of alignment from the tenon. I sent it right back for a no questions asked refund.

Reactions: smknron
Status
Not open for further replies.