Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
So I started watching these over the weekend. One thing I love after watching 6 episodes is no one uses a tamper. Filling the pipe? Thumb! Post char light? Thumb!
I’m honestly not sure what tamping does. I do it because it’s ‘one of those things’ that’s part of pipe smoking, but I don’t know why I’m doing it :D

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I’m honestly not sure what tamping does. I do it because it’s ‘one of those things’ that’s part of pipe smoking, but I don’t know why I’m doing it

Tamping feeds the ember while slightly pushing it down into the unlit tobacco.

I used to have a couple of Czech tools but I often misplace them. After a few unsuccessful searches I started to use my finger. I dont think on it too much anymore.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Thanks Shermnatman for the suggestion. House of Fear was very entertaining and I even went outside to watch it and smoke my Peterson full of John Bull!

Reactions: yanoJL

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
milehighpiper - So glad to hear it! Smoking while watching those movies is just so perfect together. If these Rathbone/Bruce films are new to you, and you would like see more, may I next suggest 'Terror By Night' (1946). The scenes of them smoking in the private train cabins are some of my favorite pipe scenes. Enjoy! - Sherm Natman

sherm_natman_logo_full_size-150x75.jpg

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Yes, these are very new to me and I am downloading them in order to watch the whole 14 movie series. I want to read all of the original books this year and these classic movies are helping me get into it more! I will watch Terror By Night tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
"The Sign of Four" a 1983 Sherlock Holmes movie with Ian Richardson on Amazon Prime now, has the great detective smoking a pipe in almost every scene. In one scene, he loads his (Peterson?) pipe from a leather pouch, packs it with his thumb, checks the draw, lights it with a match, and tamps it with his matchstick, all while holding a conversation. In the scene that takes place the following day, he is smoking a different pipe. He even rotates his pipes!

Reactions: yanoJL

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I hope it's okay to post this here, as it's not strictly about pipe smoking... well, it's not about pipe smoking in the slightest, but it is a great film about cigar smoking.
Smoke, starring Harvey Keitel and William Hurt, I simply cannot recommend highly enough.
https://youtu.be/uem9TbvQpFk

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
There's a film I suspect most of you have never even heard of let alone seen (I don't say that pompously, just that it's quintessentially British) called Till Death Us Do Part, in which the main character Alf Garnett has a pipe on the go in pretty much every scene. Not knowledgable enough to identify it yet, though. Over to you chaps.
2val63s.png

dzc744.png

33xf24k.png

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Two of my favorite musicians, especially when they played together, were Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Albert smoked a pipe, and he was the one who probably inspired Stevie to do so (Stevie was much younger when he first met Albert).
Here's a video of Stevie Ray doing some of his typically incredible work, while enjoying a pipe.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/6m0nxh/you_might_be_cool_but_youll_never_be/

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Here's a video of Stevie Ray doing some of his typically incredible work, while enjoying a pipe.
He's quite good... he says as he scoops up his bottom jaw from his lap 8O

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Mr Voight in Deliverance.
Judging from the first image Mr Voight could apparently retrohale through his ear.
33a9l3c.png

2elcpkl.png

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Thought I searched well, but the most current Thread did not have the most Stills. This one has more:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Rick Newcombe did a presentation at the Chicago Show that featured a 50 minute PowerPoint presentation on pipe smoking in the movies. It used to be on YouTube but it may have been removed. It's a shame because Rick and his brother did a lot of work on it and it was excellent.

Reactions: yanoJL and Bengel