PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
'House of Fear' (1945) Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, Nigel Bruce as Dr John Watson, and Dennis Hoey as Inspector Lestrade. While all 14 of the Rathbone/Bruce films in the Holmes-film-series feature lots of beautiful old pipes, tobacco jars, and lots of pipe smoking going on, House of Fear, in particular, has pipe smoking or conversation about tobacco and joys of pipe smoking throughout the film. Watch for the scene outside the old tobacco shop. There are so many scenes of men enjoying their pipes, that I wish I was up in that old Scottish mansion with them all, puffing away by the huge stone fireplace. Enjoy! - Sherm Natman

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
While not a movie, I watched a couple of Youtube clips today from the Andy Griffith show featuring "The Darlings" (actually The Dillards bluegrass group). The base player had his pipe going like a chimney while keeping the beat. Thought its was pretty cool since it was lit and smoking right there on TV in those days.

Reactions: homesteader

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
So where can I find these Rathbone/Bruce films? Netflix? Amazon?

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
So where can I find these Rathbone/Bruce films?
Pretty much all 14 of them can be had on youtube.
House of Fear, in particular, has pipe smoking or conversation about tobacco and joys of pipe smoking throughout the film.
I love the spooky/eerie themed SH films, and because of that (and all the pipe talk) this is probably my favourite of the Rathbone/Bruce films.
I keep hearing people mention a Kevin Costner film in which he's always got a little nosewarmer on the go. What is this one?

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Love the Basil Rathbone Holmes (not as true as the Jeremy Brett/Grenada series, but a lot more fun).
Bob Hope's 'The Cat & The Canary' is a good one, a haunted house comedy.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I forget who gave the presentation, but one year, I think at Chicago, there was an entire presentation on pipe smoking in film. It was a really awesome presentation. I can't find the video anywhere right now.

Reactions: cornedbeef

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Does this count? Stan in Block Heads. In case you're not familiar with L&H and because the image isn't very clear, that's his hand he's smoking.
tumblr_pm3vun4Vcd1w9drs0o1_400.png

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
lochinvar - Also, on YouTube, be sure to check-out 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes', from 1954; a British TV-series of 39 B&W episodes running 30 minutes each, starring Ronald Howard (not opie) as Sherlock Holmes, and H. Marion Crawford as Dr Watson ... and loads of pipes and pipe-smoking. Enjoy! - Sherm Natman

Reactions: yanoJL

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
'House of Fear' (1945) Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, Nigel Bruce as Dr John Watson, and Dennis Hoey as Inspector Lestrade. While all 14 of the Rathbone/Bruce films in the Holmes-film-series feature lots of beautiful old pipes, tobacco jars, and lots of pipe smoking going on, House of Fear, in particular, has pipe smoking or conversation about tobacco and joys of pipe smoking throughout the film. Watch for the scene outside the old tobacco shop. There are so many scenes of men enjoying their pipes, that I wish I was up in that old Scottish mansion with them all, puffing away by the huge stone fireplace. Enjoy! - Sherm Natman
So I started watching these over the weekend. One thing I love after watching 6 episodes is no one uses a tamper. Filling the pipe? Thumb! Post char light? Thumb!