PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Could someone explain the Tufftony situation to me please? I'm curious as to what exactly happened. His post yesterday "I'M BACK" was what I thought was tongue in cheek posts with a genuine appreciation for pipes and tobacco. And an attempt to extend an olive branch, only to have some members jumped on the thread to antagonize him. Obviously I'm not familiar with the history of the situation so I won't comment but I did notice the thread locked and deleted. Likewise with a thread inquiring about the deletion of that thread and the "disappearance" of his account.
Just want to know where the line is drawn really.
Don't have a horse in the race but I am concerned about this level of censorship.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is a whole backstory to him. He joined a while ago, then disappeared, the reappeared. I'm not privy to the details but I think when your username disappears from posts you have been banned.
I'm not sure if he was a troll, or a previously banned member or what. Stick around here long enough and you see all kinds. In my weaker moments I almost miss brightleaf.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
As a relative newcomer, but a reasonably active and non-confrontational one, I’ve never been concerned about censorship on this forum. Just read the rules, follow them, and don’t be a dick. The few members that I have seen go by the wayside either got super political or were trolling others on the forum. There are a lot of good guys (and ladies) here with a great sense of humorous camaraderie, tons of pipe knowledge, and general generosity and good will toward others. There are the occasional jibes and jabs, but it’s a voluntary and FREE forum, and everyone gets along well, in my experience.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are rules posted. Tufftony couldn't follow them. Questioning the decisions of the mods is one also. You should read the rules. All of the so-called "lines" are detailed there. If you are unhappy with the rules or "level of censorship" you should either PM the owner with your concerns. Or, simply move to another site where you are more comfortable.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Not wanting to upset anyone but if I was a new member of a forum, of only one month standing, I would not be voicing concern about censorship until I had understood the nature of the forum and getting to know the members, over say a year or so....

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Just want to know where the line is drawn really.
Don't have a horse in the race but I am concerned about this level of censorship.
Just read the rules, follow them, and don’t be a dick
The answer to your question is succinctly answered. Boom.
If you want to know where the line is, in a graphic and glowingly obvious way..... post some super high grade nonsense. You'll learn very quickly.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I agree that censorship kind of bothers me. But at the same time it isn’t your site, it isn’t my site, and it isn’t our site. If I went to someone else’s house I would do my best to follow their rules, likewise if I am on a site owned by someone else I’ll try and stick to the rules. If the site says I can’t post a picture of my phallus and I do. If they ban me it isn’t anyone’s fault but my own.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
When I joined here a couple years I stepped out of line several times. Mods educated me.

Chose to follow their suggestions & stay here.

But I could have.....

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That guy was so obviously a troll looking for trouble, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. This place seems pretty simple. If you come here to learn and enjoy, its quite forgiving. Come here looking for problems, you'll find the exit door quite promptly.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats interesting Shayde and finally explains the total lack of willy pictures on the site :rofl: Seriously though the rules are fairly straight forward and as far as I have seen the Mods are pretty good natured. I have seen a few spectacular flame outs over the years but since my area of interest is small compared to the bulk of threads I have never run into any serious arse hats unless you try and relaunch a tobacco blend from yesteryear!

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Most places have ‘house rules’. I do in my house, this place does too.

If somebody breaks my house rules I ask them to leave. If they push it, I tell them not to come back.

Same thing here on PM forums.

Absolutely not censorship.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I dont like censorship, but I dont feel he was being censored. It's like going to a party or bar, or anywhere in a social setting pretty much. if your a big enough ass hat, your gonna get eighty sixed(thrown out). Basic good natured social skills go a long way in this world.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Of course he was censored. There simply isn't another word for not letting a person run their mouth or, in this case, keyboard. There's no need to twist and turn words, definitions, etc. TT was censored right off the site.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yup, the rules are simple lukasstrifeson. There's much more to the story, that we needn't talk about. All we ask is everyone gets along, and follows the rules posted on the homepage. If there's any question on the rules, any at all, a moderator is only a pm away.
:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There aren't that many sites online that are open access where negativity and abuse don't hold free reign. This one has succeeded mostly. The mods are civil, mostly pretty cheerful, but they need to exercise their judgement and the simple ordinary rules. People who really need to talk about their anger and their troubles don't need to do it here. The mods can't be Solomon, just make the best call they can. I miss many, maybe most, of the people who've been banned, but I am usually not the one getting hammered and abused by them. Good fellowship is good, if we can keep it.

I've been on the forums for almost 5 years now. A lot of members have been here ever since the website started. I've never had any problems with anyone. I have asked for help and it was given. I have met many friends here. Even got great discounts on pipes and even a gift pipe !!
A big chunk of the members here are older than me. I was raised to respect my elders, learn from them and disagree with them with respect. Thats what I do here.
For a political me, please refer to my Facebook where you'll get ThePipeMonk Liberal, Centrist, Social, Conservative Hybrid.
All you need to do is recognize the platform and then discourse accordingly.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
"snowflake" here. I have only had problems with one poster here to the point where I contacted a mod. The posts I was concerned with were deleted. I observed that Tony wanted to be able to say whatever he wanted without consequence. But again, read the rules, follow them, even imperfectly, but try, and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.