PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bigpipe

Lurker
Feb 7, 2022
Note: Links now embedded, and photo added. -jpm

A very large and impressive silver mounted Meerschaum pipe made by Benjamin Barling for the Great Exhibition of 1851

The auction page LINK

Wilson page LINK

Last edited by a moderator:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
This pipe’s the real deal and an important piece of Barling history (you can find an image of it in my article from some eight or nine years ago). But given the restrictions on the importation of ivory into the US and EU most of the logical buyers are barred from bidding. What’s left, I suspect, will be well-heeled collectors in the UK and Asia. It’ll be interesting to see the outcome.

66374F4A-D0EE-46E7-92A7-E951BC99A0D1.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I knew I'd seen this pipe and I found an image of it in the 1962 Barling Catalog. It was part of the Barling Company's museum, probably sold when Imperial closed the factories in 1970. It's listed as having been made in 1850 in the catalog.

It's definitely an important piece, but as Jon said, off limits for importation to the US because of the ivory fitments. I'm not entirely sure it can be exported from England for the same reason.

Auction estimate is £5000 to £6000.

I suspect even @Chasing Embers would have a hard time clenching this one.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No carver today would probably be willing to put in the effort and time to do such a piece. The detail and crafting in the pipe, especially the silver work, is amazing.
If if they were willing, I doubt there are any carvers working today who could pull this off with the level of finish this has.

bigpipe

Lurker
Feb 7, 2022
It's an historic piece there's no doubt but I really dislike round stems and buttons,
The ivory ring at the base of the stem surely must not detract from the value of the pipe? The stem with a small ivory ring is removeable so maybe as an antiquity this pipe is still of great value to a collector. It is a genuine piece of history and the carving on the bowl is unbelievably exquisite.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nifty fact the reason you can't buy even antique ivory is because when they allowed that it got heavily abused to smuggle fresh ivory. Basically this would be fine to buy in America if it wasn't for certain terrible people who make me wish for a twilight zone style comeuppance. Where aliens land and slaughter them for their toe nails to be made into jewelry (not sure why just those peoples toe nails, but hey it's a hyperbolic fantasy.)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I knew I'd seen this pipe and I found an image of it in the 1962 Barling Catalog. It was part of the Barling Company's museum, probably sold when Imperial closed the factories in 1970. It's listed as having been made in 1850 in the catalog.

It's definitely an important piece, but as Jon said, off limits for importation to the US because of the ivory fitments. I'm not entirely sure it can be exported from England for the same reason.

Auction estimate is £5000 to £6000.

I suspect even @Chasing Embers would have a hard time clenching this one.
20220208_165816.jpg

bigpipe

Lurker
Feb 7, 2022
For those interested meerschaum fans here are some more images of the detail on this pipe. Carving (and silverwork) is unbelievable - must have taken a very skilled and patient craftsman.

Attachments

• pipe7.jpg
    pipe7.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 5
  • pipe8.jpg
    pipe8.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 5
  • pipe9.jpg
    pipe9.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 5
  • pipe10.jpg
    pipe10.jpg