18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Bumping this because I need to buy more perique. My favorites are no longer available, so I was thinking about trying the C&D ribbon cut (I've heard negative things about thr granulated). Has anyone used this one and enjoyed it?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been using Sutliff ribbon cut and it mixes nicely with other similarly cut tobacco.
I've used cubed or 'granulated' and it mixes fine, but it does settle.

Reactions: kcghost

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I bought for homeblending the C&D granulated perique as research said granulated was easier to mix into a home blend. I still have the 2 oz can sealed as I have not used it yet.

Also, I may be wrong but I thought most or nearly all Perique was from Daughters and Ryan in St. James. So in my mind it did not matter as to the brand as they were getting it from the same place. Again could be wrong.

Reactions: WildTurkeySurprise

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
Granulated mixes more evenly, but it does settle to the bottom as time passes. Not a problem if you’re pressing your blend into pucks. Ribbon cut perique tends to clump (which might be the reason granulated perique even became a thing). If you’re jarring your mixture, just make sure the perique ribbons are separated well from each other as you add them to your blend. Flavor-wise, the two are about the same to me.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I bought for homeblending the C&D granulated perique as research said granulated was easier to mix into a home blend. I still have the 2 oz can sealed as I have not used it yet.

Also, I may be wrong but I thought most or nearly all Perique was from Daughters and Ryan in St. James. So in my mind it did not matter as to the brand as they were getting it from the same place. Again could be wrong.
I stand corrected for my comment. In listening to a Country Squire podcast from a couple years back John David Cole stated that C&D and Sutliff do different things with the perique they receive and there is a difference in tin note and flavor.