PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
A little bird told me that bulk Sutliff 212 Burley Delight is the “equivalent” of Burley London Blend. This little songbird came to me in the form of Tobacco Reviews - I simply must stop reading those. For when one cruel reviewer described the 212 as “granger-like” my knees buckled and I swiftly added 2 ounces to my order of 5 tins of the 2021 Burley London Blend.

This calls for a “smoke-off”. Let the Games Begin!

Now the logical among you would think that the challenge would be between 212 and BLB. Well, you’re not dealing with a rational man; you’re reading the ramblings of a bloke who has doomed a 1956 Dunhill White Spot - to the inside of a Granger can! Y’all best sit down.
760A46B2-28C5-4CEE-AC67-B4F1D48DFA63.jpeg
In fairness to Gordon Sutliff, I’ve loaded my champion basket with his Burley Delight 212.
EFAB8E2F-7DDA-47A6-A494-7E1C6A531048.jpeg
The challenger? A brand spankin’ new, sweet-corn-tasting, American-made MM Apple Diplomat Cob, loaded lovingly with dark and luxurious, soft and yummy Graaaanger.
034F4A2A-FB8C-469F-A7C4-DF2193516701.jpegY’all see where this is going, right?

The 212 is a beautiful golden brown, ready rubbed with some unbroken pieces and a sultry sweet tin note with lofty aspirations. It’s loaded. It’s ready. Granger won the coin toss but deferred to the challenger. The Sutliff gets first flame....
C8EFA84F-F52D-4361-AA84-D9F6BDA1E8DE.jpeg
Sutliff 212 Burley Delight is indeed one fine smoke. Char-light burned 10 full minutes and only went out as I was loading the MM cob. 212 has a nice nutty, sweet flavor, especially blown thru the nose. Quite tasty. Actually had the flavor of sweet corn on retro but that may be due to the fact that my fingers are presently loading a brand new and unsmoked, thick yellow corn cob pipe. The power of suggestion...
619F9E01-137F-4EBF-AE4C-2E3AF6AB27C8.jpeg
The Granger and the MM meets flame. Always amazes me the tiny inner diameter of these thick walled Cobs. The side steam coming from the Granger is a siren song to my senses. Nothing in my experience rivals that old-time-pipey smell. Yet, the flavor isn’t as rich as the 212. The new cob imparting no additional flavor, no ghost, and nothing to move the granger along. New pipes and I often have this battle and the ‘56 White Spot will not be freed until she agrees to taste like Granger. She will be broken.

Back to the Briar and the 212 where a relight delivered a bit of nose tingle that I never get from Granger. Not to say this blend is harsh, it’s anything but harsh. It’s mild with great smoking characteristic and very flavorful. Granger just clicks with my chemistry-soft as rain.
I have to remind myself that Granger is a mild, cool and very light blend whose flavor I decidedly love, but can vanish in side by side comparisons. I know that tomorrow, when my initial light up is granger, it’ll elicit immediate satisfaction. It always does.

Verdict: If you like Burley than you’ll like the Sutliff Burley Delight. I love Burley. I joke about Granger but in the end, we Burley smokers relish in one dimension, that of yummy, nutty, delicious ? Burley. We don’t need surprises. We want to know what’s coming in every tasty, puff.
F99067BA-B55A-43AF-A5D0-DB0007E76B62.jpeg
The above pic shows the winner and still undefeated champion. But you knew this game was rigged from the start!

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thanks for the time and creativity with photos and words--I really enjoyed reading your post, especially the way you put it, ". . . we Burley smokers relish in one dimension, that of yummy, nutty, delicious ? Burley. We don’t need surprises. We want to know what’s coming in every tasty, puff."

Since I'm learning to enjoy a nice bowl of Burley, this helps me put words to my experiences! Thanks again!!
kind regards
mike

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Nice journalism, enjoyable read, quality content. We need more alternative to codger burley discussion with the recent draught of OTCs.

Next up in head to head competition should be:

Sutliff J4 Burley
Newminster 702 Light Burley
C&D Burley Ribbon cut
Just opened my C&D Burley Flake #2. I am becoming a burley fan (but like most tobacco anyway)

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Kind words, Macaroni. Glad you enjoyed it!

Canucklehead, I couldn’t agree more. Who in the world would predict brands with such wide appeal and distribution would meet the chopping block?

CoffeeAndBourbon? Send me your poor, your tired, your unwanted and oft misunderstood Burley Blends. I welcome all of their air dried brethren to a seat at the Granger table.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I find that when I smoke burley I just enjoy the experience. I don’t often spend time breaking down the blend...I’m just looking for a good uncomplicated smoke. Before I know it, I’m halfway down the bowl and truly relaxed and comforted. That’s typically what I get when I grab a ☕️ and sit back to chill out. I’ll always love my Virginia & VaPers, but burley is comfort food to me.?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A little bird told me that bulk Sutliff 212 Burley Delight is the “equivalent” of Burley London Blend. This little songbird came to me in the form of Tobacco Reviews - I simply must stop reading those. For when one cruel reviewer described the 212 as “granger-like” my knees buckled and I swiftly added 2 ounces to my order of 5 tins of the 2021 Burley London Blend.

Now the logical among you would think that the challenge would be between 212 and BLB. Well, you’re not dealing with a rational man; you’re reading the ramblings of a bloke who has doomed a 1956 Dunhill White Spot - to the inside of a Granger can! Y’all best sit down.
View attachment 65727
In fairness to Gordon Sutliff, I’ve loaded my champion basket with his Burley Delight 212.
View attachment 65728
The challenger? A brand spankin’ new, sweet-corn-tasting, American-made MM Apple Diplomat Cob, loaded lovingly with dark and luxurious, soft and yummy Graaaanger.
View attachment 65729Y’all see where this is going, right?

The 212 is a beautiful golden brown, ready rubbed with some unbroken pieces and a sultry sweet tin note with lofty aspirations. It’s loaded. It’s ready. Granger won the coin toss but deferred to the challenger. The Sutliff gets first flame....
View attachment 65730
Sutliff 212 Burley Delight is indeed one fine smoke. Char-light burned 10 full minutes and only went out as I was loading the MM cob. 212 has a nice nutty, sweet flavor, especially blown thru the nose. Quite tasty. Actually had the flavor of sweet corn on retro but that may be due to the fact that my fingers are presently loading a brand new and unsmoked, thick yellow corn cob pipe. The power of suggestion...
View attachment 65732
The Granger and the MM meets flame. Always amazes me the tiny inner diameter of these thick walled Cobs. The side steam coming from the Granger is a siren song to my senses. Nothing in my experience rivals that old-time-pipey smell. Yet, the flavor isn’t as rich as the 212. The new cob imparting no additional flavor, no ghost, and nothing to move the granger along. New pipes and I often have this battle and the ‘56 White Spot will not be freed until she agrees to taste like Granger. She will be broken.

Back to the Briar and the 212 where a relight delivered a bit of nose tingle that I never get from Granger. Not to say this blend is harsh, it’s anything but harsh. It’s mild with great smoking characteristic and very flavorful. Granger just clicks with my chemistry-soft as rain.
I have to remind myself that Granger is a mild, cool and very light blend whose flavor I decidedly love, but can vanish in side by side comparisons. I know that tomorrow, when my initial light up is granger, it’ll elicit immediate satisfaction. It always does.

Verdict: If you like Burley than you’ll like the Sutliff Burley Delight. I love Burley. I joke about Granger but in the end, we Burley smokers relish in one dimension, that of yummy, nutty, delicious ? Burley. We don’t need surprises. We want to know what’s coming in every tasty, puff.
View attachment 65733
The above pic shows the winner and still undefeated champion. But you knew this game was rigged from the start!
Sometimes I don't think you're a real person. I think you might be a Granger ad from back in the day that wished it could be a real boy. By the way that doesn't bother me at all, just thought I'd share. I think you'll be happy to know I plan on trying some soon.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
@Grangerous - How many time done I gots to tell ya boy... Ya gots to honey dem dere new Cobs 'forein ya'll gets to puffin' on 'em!!!

Get yourself some honey or maple syrup. Wet your finger. Coat your wet finger with a big ol' drop of the honey or maple syrup. Stick your wet, coated finger into the bowl, and run it all about, coating the inside real good, including the top edge of the bowl. Lick your finger clean.

Set that pipe aside to dry for at least a day before smoking.

I actually prefer the maple syrup to honey; but either way, I'm telling you, once you start doing this olde tyme codger trick, you'll do it to all new cobs before smoking them. - Sherm Natman

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

View attachment 65727
View attachment 65728
View attachment 65729Y’all see where this is going, right?

View attachment 65730
View attachment 65732

View attachment 65733

Okay now repeat the experiment but reverse the pipe/blend combos and report back.

I love me some Burley Delight.

Also, if you haven't tried it, you should try some Sutliff Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match. It's kind of a different animal but a good option to mix up your routine.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I wasn't a huge fan of Burley Delight. Not sure what it was. I think I was looking for something along the lines of PA and I know I shouldn't of compared it to that or sought out a replacement for it. I gave the rest of the 1oz I had away. Nothing will be missed here. Great review though,

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I wasn't a huge fan of Burley Delight. Not sure what it was. I think I was looking for something along the lines of PA and I know I shouldn't of compared it to that or sought out a replacement for it. I gave the rest of the 1oz I had away. Nothing will be missed here. Great review though,
I’m always hunting for the next blend that’ll check all of my boxes. It’s elusive. I’m lucky I have found “one” that does.

I’ll be sending off this sample to my friend Sherm in the hope that it replaces PA for him.

Nothing at all wrong with 212. It’s good. I just won’t reach for it as long as there’s Granger in the Jar.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.