PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The rumored demise of Prince Albert and perhaps Carter Hall has me nostalgic. I own one tub of each as a salute to Middleton. But I also have one full tub of Sugerbarrel which, in true Middleton fashion, is as fresh as the day I removed it’s cellophane and peered inside.
49746C23-C7D2-417F-BDF6-63BC635B4079.jpeg
So today, I’m enjoying a bowl of Middleton Sugerbarrel and will share my honest thoughts.

Comparing one American OTC to another it is much like comparing Coke to Pepsi to Dr Pepper to RC to TAB etc. One flavor profile might just become one’s lifelong companion.

Each OTC puts a different, subtle spin on the American Burley-forward style we’ve come to know as Codger blends.

This is pure Middleton. So there is no need for me to address the characteristics. It’s Middleton and it’s ready to smoke.
E1CE3ADC-2473-4119-ABB4-1BC1CC9DC77C.jpeg
It’s a one note wonder. Every sip baths the tongue in a dry, sweetness. Sugerbarrel is pleasant and it tastes good. It gets the job done. Unlike SWR, which adds a spice note, Sugerbarrel is simply “sweet”.

Seagrams 7 American Whiskey is smooth and sweet; but by design it sacrifices complexity for smooth and sweet. It’s boring. It’s pleasant. It gets the job done.

This is my take on Sugerbarrel.

Sugerbarrel could become anyone’s all-day. I’m of the opinion that for a Burley lover, “any” of the old time OTC’s are capable of becoming “someone’s” personal favorite, just as Granger has become mine.

I’m of the opinion that taking the time to “get to know” any blend can endear it to you, provided that it’s within your genre of tobacco.

I believe the mind associates a particular flavor profile as “pleasant” and then amplifies one’s enjoyment of that blend whenever repeated—explaining a Codger’s lifelong preference for PA, or Carter Hall or SWR or Velvet or Granger or even Sugerbarrel.

The loss of a lifelong companion tobacco really sucks and I feel badly for loyal Prince Albert and Carter Hall fans.

If Granger “disappeared” I know that SWR, a distant second, would likely... over time, satisfy. But I would dearly miss my Granger.

There are many reading who cannot fathom a true single favorite blend and enjoy the endless variety. There’s nothing at all wrong about that; I think that describes the majority on this forum.

But the Codgers are nodding to what I’ve written.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was a 50-year Granger smoker, so I understand the mindset. To him, it was good, always the same, widely available, and inexpensive. He always bought it in the foil pouch. He smoked it from the tub only on the rare occasion that someone gave it a a gift, and then he'd fill a foil pouch from the tub. When was Sugar Barrel discontinued? Was it? The Hearth and Home Middleton series has a match.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My dad was a 50-year Granger smoker, so I understand the mindset. To him, it was good, always the same, widely available, and inexpensive. He always bought it in the foil pouch. He smoked it from the tub only on the rare occasion that someone gave it a a gift, and then he'd fill a foil pouch from the tub. When was Sugar Barrel discontinued? Was it? The Hearth and Home Middleton series has a match.
I enjoy granger everyday but I fear that more and more otc's will go away I am stock piling everyday brands. I usually rotate in SWR, Granger and CH. CH I can not find and hope it is not gone for good. I know PA is. I have even taken to grabbing small bags of RYO at the gas station just to see if I can find anything good

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I enjoy granger everyday but I fear that more and more otc's will go away I am stock piling everyday brands. I usually rotate in SWR, Granger and CH. CH I can not find and hope it is not gone for good. I know PA is. I have even taken to grabbing small bags of RYO at the gas station just to see if I can find anything good
You and I share similar tastes. I actually believe that SWR and Granger share the same base blend but deviate by topping and moisture. I prefer Grangers “cleaner” less topped taste but can enjoy SWR.. but it sweetness isn’t always desired.

As for Carter Hall, I used to love it but I can’t discern its flavor any longer. A bit too lite for me I suppose?

My cellar is deep. I likely have 10 years of Granger set aside. Pray STG remains in the Pipe tobacco business.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So is this the case that although these blends are profitable, they aren't sufficiently profitable for their corporate owners?

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.