Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Svangorder821

Lurker
Feb 7, 2023
My grandpa gave me some old smoking pipes years ago and I was wondering if anyone can help me classify their manufacture dates and how much $$ they go for.

1: Comoy’s Tradition, made in London England, 283
2: Jud’s, 5 handmade, France, 108
3:Savinelli, nonpareil, 9101, IT
4: Berwyk, Dr.Grabow, imported briar, customatic?, pat.2461905image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Those pipes are not highly collectable and not worth that much in money terms.
If sold as they are, they will fetch a lot less than items that have been cleaned and sanitised

If you would like an estimate - Google "Ebay estate pipes"
At the top there is a "Search" bar. On the extreme right is "Advanced". Click onto this
Type in the name/brand of the pipe and "completed items + sold items" -> then hit "Search"
A list of recently sold items will appear with the prices realised.

Hope you find this info useful

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nice pipes and if you wanted to smoke them they'd be great for that. But collectors are looking for something special that has a history that appeals them as well as exclusivity not something everyone can afford. Sadly it does work in the rubbing in the neighbors face. Oh you can't spend cash on a....
But they're cool and I am sure he had other things that people would like to buy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anotherbob pegged it in terms of dollar value, in my opinion, but what a wonderful legacy. They look in good shape, just needing a good deep cleaning. If you don't smoke a pipe, I'd keep them as mementos of your grandfather, family heirlooms. I have my grandfather's circular pipe rack with an amber tobacco jar in the center, inherited through my dad, and feel extremely lucky to have it. It's of modest value but priceless.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
@Svangorder821, I wouldn't want our replies here to leave you thinking that these are sub-par pipes. They aren't. They're respectable pipes. For most of us credible pipe accumulators, this range of pipe constitutes the center-of-gravity of our personal rotations. So please don't hear us saying that your grandfather had poor taste in pipes -- not at all -- these are the sort that most of us smoke.

What we're saying is that nobody's going to retire on these mid-range factory pipes. I hope that my children and grandchildren display my pipes (if they aren't pipe smokers themselves) as a way of remembering me, my love for them, any good advice I gave them, etc.

Where I'm from, some of these pipes might sell for something like $40-50 each, if they were in really good shape and refurbished nicely. In their current state, they'd go for less than that.

The reason you're getting a little pushback here is because many of us would dearly love to have a pipe from a grandfather. That would be very meaningful to us. Most of us don't have a heritage like that, so when we see somebody trading in such a special token (which we wish we had), it doesn't feel right.

I hope that makes sense to you. We certainly wish you the best.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
As someone who inherited pipes from my grandfather, to me they are priceless... but if you're asking for a cash value for sale, maybe $50 bucks for the whole lot. Hope that gives you some insight.

Reactions: SBC

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@Svangorder821, I wouldn't want our replies here to leave you thinking that these are sub-par pipes. They aren't. They're respectable pipes. For most of us credible pipe accumulators, this range of pipe constitutes the center-of-gravity of our personal rotations. So please don't hear us saying that your grandfather had poor taste in pipes -- not at all -- these are the sort that most of us smoke.

What we're saying is that nobody's going to retire on these mid-range factory pipes. I hope that my children and grandchildren display my pipes (if they aren't pipe smokers themselves) as a way of remembering me, my love for them, any good advice I gave them, etc.

Where I'm from, some of these pipes might sell for something like $40-50 each, if they were in really good shape and refurbished nicely. In their current state, they'd go for less than that.

The reason you're getting a little pushback here is because many of us would dearly love to have a pipe from a grandfather. That would be very meaningful to us. Most of us don't have a heritage like that, so when we see somebody trading in such a special token (which we wish we had), it doesn't feel right.

I hope that makes sense to you. We certainly wish you the best.
Betting he ain’t never coming back, was probably hoping they were worth hundreds of dollars each or more and he could sell them.

Betting he ain’t never coming back, was probably hoping they were worth hundreds of dollars each or more and he could sell them.
It's happened before several times. Someone inherits some pipes, while their other family members get cars, investments, and such. They check with us to see if they hit bank. He may still be checking the post without logging in.
We did once have someone who first came on with boxes of Dunhills, which made everyone start making side deals from the post.

I hope the OP isn't too disappointed. That London Made Comoy might just be collectible, but it's not a shape that is most sought after.
Of my grandfather's thing that I inherited, besides land, were a huge collection of lighters that used to set of a desk, real ivory dominoes, a machete taken off a Japanese officer from WW2, and all of his Naval stuff. I thought that maybe the machete might be worth some money, but after doing some research I found that it was the sort that was bought in the Philippines after the war for seamen to come back home with a souvenir.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
I'm old now and never met my grandfather really, i was very young, i know he smoked pipes, have a drawing of him my uncle did and his pipes are in it, i would love to have even one of his old pipes. Probably not the answer that you're looking for but hopefully you appreciate them for what they are.
I'm feeling the same way. I know my grandfather was a pipe smoker, I have memories of him smoking, but he passed long before I could talk to him about it or express any interest in his pipes when he passed. Would love to have even one of them, and to know what blend he smoked.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
My wife’s grandpa left her a few pipes. In 2015 I cleaned them up as best I could - then smoked my first bowl ever. Those pipes are worth something priceless. I still occasionally take out a particular one and smoke it. It’s about 1918, and he got it by saving labels from his favorite tobacco and sending them in for a free reward prize. I think if I got rid of all of mine except just a few, I’d keep that one. And I would smoke it.