PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
I just obtained my Grandfathers Cob and was wondering if some maintenance could be done?
He passed away in 1974 and most likely had this in the ‘60s.
I noticed the stem/bit was not completely tight and while trying to remove it, certain areas began cracking where the stem meets the chamber. Needless to say that I stopped.

Is their anything I could do to help restore the wood to prevent breakage or will this just be a shelf pipe?7209222E-3578-4447-BBFE-1CB8EDECF80A.jpeg23FA9BB7-0B93-4E0E-B17D-7EF5027CB9FA.jpeg

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
The shank is the part that meets the chamber, and it isn't designed to be removed. If it's loose, it can be removed very carefully, cleaned up, and reattached. Most folks use Elmer's wood glue. Any cracking in the outside of the bowl that doesn't go all the way through can be filled with plaster of Paris, that's what smooth cobs are finished with at the factory.
Cracks that go all the way through can be filled on the outside with plaster of Paris and pipe mud on the inside.

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
l’ll second leaving it as is. I’ve restored other items and regretted it later. The value in your old cob is sentimental, and to my mind that disappears somewhat if altered.

Reactions: scloyd

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
If you only had one pipe I'd fix it, but since I'm sure that you have several I'd cherish it as a fond keep sake. It is very pleasing to be able to have part of our past that we can look at from time to time. It let's our minds wonder back to former, less hectic times in our lives. Enjoy that fine pipe as a part of yesterday.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could use a similar MM cob you own or could buy as a pipe to smoke in tribute to your Grandpa's. I'm intrigued by the branding sticker. It was made in Washington (Missouri, I presume) so this was a sub-brand of Missouri Meerschaum. The pipe and lighter make a handsome pair.

Reactions: reasonable