PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Awesome thread bro. I’ve got one packet of the Imperial tobacco era stuff I’m saving for when i inherit my family meerschaum. It was all my great grandfather smoked too...I hope it’s not passed down anytime soon though, cos my nans looking after it until...well yeah.
Thanks. It’s been quite an emotional journey with it. I would like to find some old St Bruno to see how different it is but having some tobacco saved as you have is wonderful.

My Nana was kind enough to let me have it before the inevitable as although it was his, she realises the sentimental value is more pronounced in me than her. Not sure she was ever a massive fan of his smoking habits. ?

She can’t find his other pipes at the moment she’s packed them away somewhere safe but one day (hopefully not too soon) I’ll get the chance to hunt for them.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
Considering the nearly flawless shiny rim and coloring from the top down, I would say that is a pre-colored (calcined) African meerschaum.

View attachment 80432View attachment 80433

Beautiful piece and what an amazing keepsake!
The rim definitely looks ‘pre-coloured’ and looks extremely similar to those above. There aren’t many markings on it other than “Genuine Block Meerschaum” and the number 42.

Thanks. I’m beyond delighted with it.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks. It’s been quite an emotional journey with it. I would like to find some old St Bruno to see how different it is but having some tobacco saved as you have is wonderful.

My Nana was kind enough to let me have it before the inevitable as although it was his, she realises the sentimental value is more pronounced in me than her. Not sure she was ever a massive fan of his smoking habits. ?

She can’t find his other pipes at the moment she’s packed them away somewhere safe but one day (hopefully not too soon) I’ll get the chance to hunt for them.
I managed to try some Ogden’s era stuff last year. While most of the sauce had faded, the tobacco was some of the most flavourful I have encountered, so earthy and rich.

While quite a different smoke all together, I’ve found smoking GH Dark scented/aromatic flake to have become somewhat sentimental. I just can imagine the smell being familiar to my forebears

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
I managed to try some Ogden’s era stuff last year. While most of the sauce had faded, the tobacco was some of the most flavourful I have encountered, so earthy and rich.

While quite a different smoke all together, I’ve found smoking GH Dark scented/aromatic flake to have become somewhat sentimental. I just can imagine the smell being familiar to my forebears
That’s encouraging to hear that it’s possible to find then!

Yes it’s certainly interesting to think back through the tobaccos history and contemplate who and where it has been smoked, and also how much it has changed or not over time. That connection with history/people from history is something I get a serious buzz from.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
So, I finally cleaned this pipe up.

Carefully reamed the bowl, flushed with water. De-gunked the stem and then worked on it with magic erasers until it came up like this. The stem isn’t perfect but having never sanded one before, this wasn’t the best candidate for my first try.

So now there’s a bowl of St Bruno Flake being smoked in it. What a day. View attachment 80379
Awesome!

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
So, I finally cleaned this pipe up.

Carefully reamed the bowl, flushed with water. De-gunked the stem and then worked on it with magic erasers until it came up like this. The stem isn’t perfect but having never sanded one before, this wasn’t the best candidate for my first try.

So now there’s a bowl of St Bruno Flake being smoked in it. What a day. View attachment 80379
Good stuff. Pipe looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.