PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
So today my family visited for the first time in 6 months due to lockdowns here. They finally got to meet my son for the first time. It was a wonderful and emotional day.

To top it off my Nana brought with her my late grandfather’s meerschaum pipe. I didn’t know any of his pipes were still around and she thinks there are more somewhere in their house.

It needs a good clean but other than that it looks great. I’m very happy indeed.

8AA7E5A8-8A5B-4003-B318-55961195ADBC.jpegA98E8DF4-A41D-4CA6-B24A-1967CE51625C.jpeg3635AEB6-167A-4575-9536-0E09D27EFCBE.jpeg

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
Congratulations! Looks like a Jambo or Manx Meerschaum. Very nice indeed.
It doesn’t have a lot of markings on it. Will need to get photos of them to see if we can work out exactly what it is.
Congrats Man! It’s great to have pipes from loved ones.
Thanks. It is indeed. Can’t wait to fire up St Bruno in it as that’s all he ever smoked.
That's awesome. It's a sweet looking meer.

What a great peice to clean-up, use, and one day pass along to your own son.
Absolutely. Thanks.
Great looking meer with really nice coloring. Looks to have been well smoked and well loved. And very special for you coming from your Grandfather. Congrats and enjoy.
Yeah the colouring is lovely. It’s in quite impressive condition. He stopped smoking a pipe in the 70s/early 80s so has held up well. Thanks.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It doesn’t have a lot of markings on it.
That’s fairly common for many meets of that vintage.
Can’t wait to fire up St Bruno in it as that’s all he ever smoked.
Awesome that you know what he smoked! St. Bruno is one of my favorites. It’s great to have another connection through the tobacco!

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
That’s fairly common for many meets of that vintage.

Awesome that you know what he smoked! St. Bruno is one of my favorites. It’s great to have another connection through the tobacco!
My first meer so all a learning curve for me.

Yeah the moment I light his pipe with the same type of tobacco is going to be special.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
Oh. That’s special.

Nobody asked me - but I wouldn’t do much clean up on it. Maybe polish the stem. But, it’s very cool as is.
I was going to do exactly that only. Internal clean to get rid of dust/dirt etc and polish the stem a little. I think it’s great as it looks.
Very nice, it has colored beautifully.
Looking forward to furthering the colouring.
That's a lovely pipe!
Wonderful heirloom.?☕
Thanks. Couldn’t believe my luck. ?

Reactions: ofafeather

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
So, I finally cleaned this pipe up.

Carefully reamed the bowl, flushed with water. De-gunked the stem and then worked on it with magic erasers until it came up like this. The stem isn’t perfect but having never sanded one before, this wasn’t the best candidate for my first try.

So now there’s a bowl of St Bruno Flake being smoked in it. What a day. 63A25EC4-FAFB-4F74-BCF7-C9030BAA24D3.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I hope your first bowl matched or exceeded your anticipation, and brought back great memories of your Grandpa.

Obsidian oil + micromesh pads will bring up a bit more shine to the stem, if that is what you like - but it looks good to me, as is.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
I hope your first bowl matched or exceeded your anticipation, and brought back great memories of your Grandpa.

Obsidian oil + micromesh pads will bring up a bit more shine to the stem, if that is what you like - but it looks good to me, as is.
Thanks for the tip. ?

I might return to it once I’ve practised on some non sentimental stems first. But maybe not. It looks good and smokes great so I’m happy enough for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.