PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Three and a half years ago, I had a midlife crisis. I quit my job at the State of Colorado Unemployment Department, packed up, and moved to California with my wife to pursue my dream of studying theology. Last Saturday, I graduated with my Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree from the Franciscan School of Theology. Next month, we are moving to Portland, OR (my wife’s hometown) and I will begin a one-year residency at Providence Hospital as a chaplain.
To celebrate this momentous event in my life and to commemorate our time in San Diego County, I went to Racine and Laramie, San Diego’s first tobacconist (est. 1868), and bought myself this Neerup Snaps sandblasted belge pipe. I’d never seen a Neerup like this one before...the belge or bent egg is not a common shape for Jeppesen. It’s a good size with a deep bowl. The first bowl smoked like an absolute dream.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
well that's the picture. I have no idea why it's coming up as being posted by dmcmtk, however! 8O
...Dave, did you do that??

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Congratulations! As it happens I have a first cousin in Catholic seminary. My own mother was also strongly involved in the Catholic church but left the convent as a young woman before taking her final vows (she remains devout). The Franciscan view of the natural world as something good and joyous is something I can get behind.
Portland is a nice city and close to some beautiful scenery, most especially the Columbia River Gorge. That is a nice pipe that I hope will bring you some enjoyable smokes perhaps in these scenic areas.
Providing comfort and guidance to people in a vulnerable state in a hospital is good and noble work.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
As I age (45 now), I have become increasingly convinced that there needs to be another time of life like early adulthood where one is socially and economically allowed the space to learn to do a new thing based on a more mature sense of one's own abilities and interests. Maybe it's not right for everyone, but I would way rather have two 20-year careers than one 40-year long one.
But then, I have a skilled labor job and my body is wearing out.
Congratulations and enjoy!

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Congratulations on the success of a bold move! I have a cousin studying Theology at a Benedictine University. It delights me that these institutions are keeping the old languages alive.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Congratulations to you sir! Well done. I love Neerup Pipes, I own 7 of P. Jeppesen’s work and I’ve not yet been disappointed. Also, enjoy the Pacific Northwest, it’s beautiful country out there! Portland still has some damn good tobaccos shops, Rich’s downtown being my favorite but the one on 82nd St. is no slouch either, don’t let the head shop vibe fool ya, they have a very respectable selection of pipes and tobaccos.
Portland is a nice city and close to some beautiful scenery, most especially the Columbia River Gorge. That is a nice pipe that I hope will bring you some enjoyable smokes perhaps in these scenic areas.

Yes! The Gorge is mind blowing my beautiful! I really miss that part of the country.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
As I age (45 now), I have become increasingly convinced that there needs to be another time of life like early adulthood where one is socially and economically allowed the space to learn to do a new thing based on a more mature sense of one's own abilities and interests. Maybe it's not right for everyone, but I would way rather have two 20-year careers than one 40-year long one.

Man, I’m with you all the way, did hard labor most of my life and my body just ain’t taking it like it used to. I went back to school and graduated last year and now I’m working my way into the tech industry as a full stack developer. It’s been a rough ride and I’ve sacrificed a lot but it’s starting to pay off, it’s nice having a desk job after all these years.
And by the way, that is a lovely Neerup!!! I’ve never seen him do a shape like that one, enjoy that rarity!

Status
Not open for further replies.