PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I Just bought a Grabow Royal Duke. It seems to be of decent quality. It's easy to clench. I have been satisfied through the first few smokes. I really like the price, so I can take it to work and not worry while I'm using it. On the ride home today I noticed some smoke coming from where the stem meets the wood. After taking the stem off I noticed that the metal piece that connects the stem moves around. So my questions are, why is smoke leaking? Is there a certain position the metal piece should be in when you put the pipe back together? Thanks for all the help you guys have provided.

Reactions: Bowie

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I’ve found that the leak usually occurs at the area in the photo. Clean the area well with alcohol, then carefully apply some clear 5 min. Epoxy around the junction of the aluminum and stem with a toothpick. Wipe off any excess. Let it cure overnight. This fix usually takes care of the problem. Best of luck!

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Great. Will do. Thanks for the detailed answer my friend.
You’re very welcome. I’m a big Grabow fan and toured the factory several years ago. Very dedicated bunch of folks, but occasionally their QC is lacking. The leaking stem problem crops up now and then. Being a dedicated Grabowphile, I try to fix things the production crew missed. I do believe Grabows are decent pipes, as I own more than 50 of them. And I like to support an American business. A tweak here, a tweak there, and all is good.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yes sir. Being American made is a plus for sure. It has a nice feel and weight as well. I want to fix it. I would really like to order more. It had me pretty bummed out when I thought this one might be a dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.