PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I held this Kaywoodie Rhodesian in my hand last week, it is a very well executed pipe. Park Lane had it at $200, but it is now on sale for $160. The only thing that would give me pause, is that it is large pipe, weighing in at 86 grams (I like to stay around 50 g)

http://cigarsandpipes.com/pipes/kaywoodie-sandblast-rhodesian.html

kaywoodie24.jpg

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
31T-T2S02BKL.jpg

I just smoked this Dr Grabow Royalton for the first time this morning ($34 shipped on Amazon) ... it makes for a better smoke than my Savinelli Sherwood Rock. Bowl stayed nothing more than a little warm all the way through and it wasn't difficult to smoke the whole thing down to ash (which is a problem I've had in other pipes).

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok I took advise from all of you I could...I bought 3 estates today, two kaywoodies and a Carey magic inch. I wish I'd done some research before i got the carey, I researched after the fact & found posts in this forum about'em. I'ma try a new bit & cause I really like the look of the pipe. I now just need to learn to properly clean them so I can smoke one!!! Surely theres a good article, i havent looked yet

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
Kaywoodies are very under-rated in my opinion; they can be great pipes and punch well above their weight
As for Carey: I too bought a Magic Inch off ebay recently because it looked like a handsome pipe....I am pleased with it but as previous posters have said, the stem feels a bit cheap and the air vent system is not to everyone's liking....but for GBP£20/US$32 I have no complaints:
oystermouth_634712957762729052-0.jpg

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@scotrob
If you would like to improve the quality of smoke from the Carey Majic Inch mate, remove the filter and wrap a piece of black electrical tape over the vent holes. Makes a huge difference.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Kaywoodies are great, I have one from 1928 and another from 1932 and they smoke unbelievably well, but we're I you, I'd put that dough aside and wait till you can afford a Todd Bannard at $200 or a Chris Askwith for $250+. A pipe handmade to your specifications will outperform a factory pipe any day.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I cant speak for the new ones but I got this off of ebay for 15 bucks:

IMAG0056.jpg

It should have it inaugural smoke tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.