9 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Dec 16, 2012
Well new blender is not entirely accurate. The chap has been blending Guantleys blends for a few years.

I'm sorry I'm not a great review writer. I'll try my best.

Breakfast end is described by the blender as an oriental and it's, knowingly, my first oriental. To look at, it's a ready rubbed. Lots of golden and dark brown ribbons with a broken flake.

The aroma from the tin is not in your face, you need to get your nose right in close up! A sweet, leathery smell mixed with a sweet berry fruit smell and something I can't put my finger on but it tells me this will be smooth and creamy. Definitely a pleasant musty cellar smell and something savoury like Worcester sauce. It reminds me of a comforting beef stew and dumplings on a cold autumn night. Wow I didn't think I was going to get all arty like that but it really does evoke that memory.

I've followed Glynn since starting smoking a pipe, he's an interesting guy that's a wealth of knowledge. It was no surprise to me then that this tobacco lit with rare and stayed alight as this was not just a case of getting the flavours right but also getting the other elements right by adding his knowledge of what's needed to burn cool and even.

Much like the tin note, the first third of this blend is not in your face. That's not to say it lacks flavour though as that would be a lie. It requires your attention. A smoke that asks the smoker to sup gently and savour the experience. I'm sorry to say that my meagre years experience has nit educated my pallet enough to tell you if it's the virginia, Kentucky or Turkish that are coming through first but it's easy going.

Later on in the bowl it becomes much more complex. A nice peppery spice that, for me, is a tell take sign this is a GQ blend. It has a sweetness that lingers on my taste buds between puffs and a really creamy taste to the thick, rich smoke. I'm not sure if this has no Latakia or just a little but whichever, it does not lack in smoke which is important to me. I love big bellows and O rings. Throughout, it has a richness the same as a suave would have after having butter and cream added to it.
I really love this blend! I bought 150g of it last week and I've not smoked much else! It's so exciting to have a blender of Glynis calibre in the UK and I can't wait to try his other blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.