PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I just read the article that a woman was cited for driving on railroad tracks because her GPS told her too. What happened to maps, used them all my life, more so when Hotshotting. People are letting machines take away their survival skills. Our country road always confuses delivery driver and they end up 5 or so miles away from us, now I tell the drivers, call me when you turn off the main road. People use your brain or it will rot! oldcdgr :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was navigating around New Jersey countryside at night, with my old eyes, and the GPS lady told me to turn right at such-and-such road. I didn't see a road, a sign, nor any curbing or any other indication there was a road where "she" said, or anywhere else in the vicinity. Reminded me of the old Groucho Marx line about, "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?" I sure as hell didn't make any turn.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
You have to use Google maps. That's what the NSA uses to track us, so you know it's the best technology they can buy with our money.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I own Gazetter maps for the four states I travel to frequently and it really paid off a couple months ago. I generally type and address in Google Maps and off I go, BUT in rural areas, especially in NV, AZ, CA and UT Google Maps doesn't delineate dirt roads from paved.
It matters. I was heading to an assignment in rural northern NV and an accident clogged the two lane highway so I checked Google Maps for an alternate. It gave me a way around. Five miles of paved road followed by 75 miles of dirt road that included a six mile stint where I competed with giant haul trucks through the Cortez mine area. I did not come back that way.
Instead of having them under the back seat, they are now in the back pocket of the passenger seat where I can grab them.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I use my iPhone GPS to get pretty much everywhere that I don't know how to get to without it. It has never failed me - not once, in years of use. Like most things, it's a tool. I still use its best companion and regulator - my brain!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Why use a newfangled contraption such as a map? Wouldn't a compass be more than adequate?
Personally, I love GPS systems. If someone is so stupid they would drive on RR Tracks regardless of what the GPS says, they shouldn't have a license to drive. Go to a new metropolitan area with your map in hand during rush hour with no navigator to help and let me know how you like that versus a GPS.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am getting one (a trucking one) as a control measure for my 13' 7" tall fifth wheel. I'd hate to get x miles down a road and find a R/R bridge I can't pass under. Turning a 43' 10" long fiver around is no joke.
I'm all for burning self driving cars, though. They are voodoo. VOODOO!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I use a GPS in a car if it is equipped with one, but I never trust it 100%. If they load off a DVD/CD in the vehicle somewhere, those always have to be updated, but even one updated last week, can throw you off if a road gets closed next week or a new highway opens just after. Had it happen to me before.
I use google maps on my phone for better accuracy, but even those get it wrong from time to time. I trust my gut way more than any electronic device and it's saved me time more than once. I use the GPS to get me in the relative area, but no GPS will ever be as good as your own eyes and common sense, but the latter seems to be dwindling down a good bit this day and age.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I think you can develop all the technology you want for self driving cars, but you'll never get rid of dumb cars and dumb people.
There will always be accidents.
What is needed is a driver's seat with a built in Cranial Retraction Assistance Device to pull people's head out of their asses while driving.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Public transportation, when it is done right, is pretty good, rather than individually navigated cars. You still have wrecks, some gruesome, but by in large, trains, busses, ferries, and subways can haul a lot of passengers where they intend to go. Air travel is still in the proving stages, but I've been worked over by all forms of public trans. The old train line downtown was the easiest and best way to go, light years better than driving. I keep wondering if someone could do a "Walmart" job on rural bus service. I'm not quite sure how it could be made to work, but if it did, it would bring rural places within reach of the rest of the population without compromising the countryside that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.