PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
I was smoking a curch warden in public and got really strange looks and people asking me if it was drugs I'm guessing its because the way I dress, I was wearing a name brand button up shirt a tight pair of black name brand tight fitting jeans some new nikes and my dads gold rolex but it seemed to draw a lot of attention so I definitely wont be doing that again but I did get a lot of looks from pretty womeen and thought I was a fly kid lol
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Pret tell, what is a fly kid?

Ah, never mind.

Found one.
flyman.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I always get looks from old men like "Holy, the world is going to be okay!"

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Just ignore other people. I get weird looks all the time and it doesn't bother me. All you need is a thick skin and to know you look smokin'. Or you could stare back at them and smile real slow and friendly. 8)

Aug 14, 2012
I get stared at a lot, even here in Chelsea, which has a plenitude of strange individuals. If I have an Oom Paul in my mouth I see the observers nodding to each other, as if to say,"he looks like he should have one of those." Occasionally I even get the attention of an adventuress.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
if a badass one believeth himself to be

a badass one will beith unto others.
it's all in your head.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Amen Plateauguy.
I have enough problems with myself, I can't worry about other people's problems with me. Heh.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
A friend of mine and I have a regular habit of darts, pipes, and pints at a local pub. No one ever gives us funny looks and the waitresses often comment on the pleasurable smell of the pipes. Perhaps no one wants to give funny looks to a pair of tall bearded men wielding pointy objects?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'll often set up a lawn chair and card table on the front lawn, so I can fiddle with my other hobby. I sit there with a glass of iced tea, smoking my pipe. I get so many looks, people pointing, almost afraid of the pipe smoking man. I just laugh it off and continue cleaning and polishing my rare firearm collection, just enjoying the day...enjoying my pipe.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Brewshooter I don't believe it's the pipe their afraid of and more than man cleaning his guns in the front yard :p

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well, a tobacco pipe is quite a prop, so you have to seclude yourself or prepare for

some reaction. Consider your presentation of yourself, and consider the audience,

who is likely to see you. Consider the pipe you smoke. We don't choose it to be so,

but it is low-key theater, unavoidably. I sat on the "smoker's bench" outside my

wife's rehab center; she was coming back from a hip replacement revision due to

a secondary infection, a really heroic recovery she made. So I was somewhat living

over there. I went out to the bench while maybe she was at physical therapy, and lit

up a corn cob pipe, and had a pleasant time sitting n the sun. I was dressed pretty

conventionally, chinos and a driving cap. The reaction to this particular person and

get-up was good but over the top. I felt like an historical re-enactor. People, especially

women, looked at me like I was ultimate picturesque. All I needed was harmonica

background music. If I spoke, I would have tried to sound like Huckleberry Finn.

Status
Not open for further replies.