PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've been working rather hard lately and bought another house. Most of my pipes are still in boxes but I treated myself to a new pipe from smokingpipes.com!

Rolando Negoita Partially Smooth, Partially Rusticated, Partially Sandblasted Freehand Estate Pipe:

Negoita1.jpg

Negoita2.jpg

Negoita3.jpg

Negoita4.jpg

It's a really unique pipe and it smokes like a dream with an excellent draw and it stays nice and cool even if I smoke a little to fast thanks to all of the texture/surface area. It looks a little big but it's actually very lightweight and clenchable.

I gave it it's first run, with one my personal favs GH&C American Delight, as my first smoke in my new place. Enjoyed it poolside with a glass of Navarre Souvenir Impérial Hors d’Age Grande Champagne Cognac:

IMG_20201011_192931736.jpg

The pipe was a most excellent treat after a day in the pool with family and friends. The tobacco was, well, delightful as the name implies ( I really do enjoy this blend).

And the Cognac? Here the professional description:

Eye: Rich garnet and amber tones.
Nose: Aromatic, with notes of exotic fruits such as mango and papaya, alongside ginger, honeyed apples and sandalwood.
Palate: Papaya and passionfruit arrive with notes of guava and a hint of eucalyptus. The finale leans into notes of sandalwood, walnut oil and an earthy tone.

It is fruity, multifaceted and complex from beginning to end. Aged for half a century, this Hors d’Age is an ‘Imperial’ example of Jacky Navarre's ability to produce Cognac blends from the Grande Champagne. It has undergone a process unlike most: non-chill filtered, nor colored or boiséd with wooden chips. It is just as it was meant to be - straight from the barrel.

Not only does he produce fantastic Cognacs straight from the barrel, but he is also a master blender. Jacky Navarre is a fourth-generation distiller and grows grapes on his eleven-acre estate in Gondeville. He is a master of distillation, and uses no water - he simply allows his Cognacs to reduce by natural evaporation.

The Souvenir Cognac has been distilled in his 30hl Charentais pot still. Navarre is one of the last purists of his kind, and the barrels are oxidized by the humidity of his cellar alone. Allowing nature to do the work, he produces Cognacs with an incredible depth of aromas and undeniable rancio.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm confused. If the Cognac is aged 50 years , wouldn't the ABV from the cask be way higher than 40% ? I read the description on Cognac Expert, looks fantastic ! And the shirt looks like a Ray Troll ? ;)

Reactions: shanez and jpmcwjr

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Rolando Negoita is a rare and true artisan with unique style. Signature style. I believe he is unique among carvers when it comes to organic shapes. I have collected his pipes for some time and cherish each one, and have purchased jewelry (for my wife) as well from him and his wonderful wife. He is a renaissance man...gifted in many things. His son is a gifted botanist; his parents can be credited with raising him well. A truly remarkable family.

Well done on your purchase, it is a bit of important pipe history.

Reactions: shanez and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Beef- It looks like the stem is rotated to vertical in the top two photos. Might be, might not be. Not a biggie either way, just curious if he knew or if anyone else sees that. Pretty sure he didn't do the photos.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm confused. If the Cognac is aged 50 years , wouldn't the ABV from the cask be way higher than 40% ? I read the description on Cognac Expert, looks fantastic ! And the shirt looks like a Ray Troll ? ;)
It's my understanding that ABV is mainly determined prior to barreling. I don't know but I would hazard a guess that aging would, if anything, slightly decrease the ABV since alcohol evaporates quicker than water. That's just a guess on my part.

Cognac Expert is an excellent resource and while I do source some bottle from them I've found 2 other shops in Paris that save me a little money and have different Cognac selections available. The Navarre, however, is a must have for me and the Imperial is favorite of all Cognacs I've tried.

@cosmicfolklore and @troutface , the shirt is actually from Raven's Brew Coffee in Alaska:

DMR_Label.jpg

Reactions: scloyd

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A memorable pipe for a memorable moment. I know it is a freehand, but I think you have to invent a shape name to toss out and mystify any pipe smoking friends. Maybe a Cognac Cask. When they look confused, you can say, it is a very rare shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.