PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My long awaited bottle of Knob Creek arrived today along with two bottles of Maker's Mark, a bottle of Jim Beam rye whiskey and a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select.

The Knob Creek is a first for me (tried and loved the others) though I suspect it's just a 50% abv version of Jim Beam White Label as the mashbill is exactly the same though it looks a little darker so perhaps aged longer?

I'll find out tonight at 10pm ?

Regards,

Jay.?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My long awaited bottle of Knob Creek arrived today along with two bottles of Maker's Mark, a bottle of Jim Beam rye whiskey and a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select.

The Knob Creek is a first for me (tried and loved the others) though I suspect it's just a 50% abv version of Jim Beam White Label as the mashbill is exactly the same though it looks a little darker so perhaps aged longer?

I'll find out tonight at 10pm ?

Regards,

Jay.?
Knob Creek is (was?) my regular, though I may have stopped drinking. Haven’t decided yet, but I haven’t had any alcohol in a month or so. Knob Creek has a nice cinnamon note to it. I see lots of reviews of it that point out caramel and vanilla notes, but I can’t see how they miss the cinnamon note in it.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Never had it? You’re in for a treat boy!
Love makers mark. Best nights ever drinking we’re playing cards, smoking pipes and drinking that stuff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yup, Knob Creek is a cracking bourbon. Not quite on par with Makers Mark in my view but still a worthy tipple.

I have my second bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Select for my shot tonight. If memory serves me correctly I loved that the first time around.

One thing, for some reason the UK Single Select is 45% abv yet the US version is 47% abv!

Regards,

Jay.?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yup, Knob Creek is a cracking bourbon. Not quite on par with Makers Mark in my view but still a worthy tipple.
You're drinking good stuff but it can be hard for us on the other side of the pond to be objective as we're spoiled for choice when it comes to Bourbon.

One thing, for some reason the UK Single Select is 45% abv yet the US version is 47% abv!
There are odd regulations that cause that kind of thing. Kind of like how your bottles are 70cL and ours are 75cL. Luckily the differences are so small that probably only a master distiller could tell the difference.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Knob Creek is (was?) my regular, though I may have stopped drinking. Haven’t decided yet, but I haven’t had any alcohol in a month or so. Knob Creek has a nice cinnamon note to it. I see lots of reviews of it that point out caramel and vanilla notes, but I can’t see how they miss the cinnamon note in it.
I hardly drink these days and I find it's kind of like pizza in that the more infrequently I touch it the better it seems to be but it's easy to overdo it a bit.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like the Knob Creek offerings ok. That being said, their special 2001 Edition 14 year is one of the better bourbons I have ever had. Pricey to be sure, but an absolutely excellent bourbon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Long awaited? Is it that difficult to come by? They sell this stuff in grocery stores around my parts."

Logs, no problem sourcing the stuff, it was the price holding me back. It normally goes for £39 per 70cl bottle, I spied it on offer for £30 per 70cl so then went for it.

For £40 I can get two 1 litre bottles of Jim Beam White so you can see how expensive Knob Creek is over here!

I have my eye on trying their rye whiskey but only if the price comes down from £47.20 per 70cl or £67.43 per litre!

Regards,

Jay.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Jay,

In America, rye whisky is the hot item these days. With that popularity, availability has dropped and prices have skyrocketed, so, you're not alone in feeling the pinch. I don't know if you're aware, but, bourbon is broadly classified into two categories: wheated and high rye. Wheated bourbon tends to be sweeter and softer on the palate. High rye bourbons are spicier and will give your taste buds a good shake. If you'd like to have a rye experience without the elevated price, try out any of these options:

Bulleit Bourbon - Their flagship bottle is fantastic. Their high proof, double oaked, extra aged, etc. are all very good.
Old Grand Dad - There are many options here, but, I'd really only recommend the Bottled In Bond, or, the 114 Proof.
Woodford Reserve - Like Bulleit, their flagship bottle is great and you won't be disappointed with any of their other offerings.
Four Roses - All Four Roses offerings are high rye, but, the Single Barrel gets a lot of good reviews. It's not my thing, but, if you believe the "experts," I'm in the minority.
Wild Turkey - This venerable brand just keeps on going. The 101 proof is well worth trying.
Elijah Craig - The Small Batch cannot be praised enough.

For some comparison, a few wheated suggestions:

Makers Mark - Without doubt, this is the gold standard wheated bourbon.
Weller - Another venerable label with several offerings, but, the W.L. Weller Special Reserve is an excellent choice.
Rebel Yell - A bourbon loved by fraternity boys across the nation, however, the Rebel Yell 10 Year is something special.
Old Fitzgerald - This is your grandfather's bourbon. The 80 proof is okay, but, the 100 proof is better.

Cheers,

Chili

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Chili, I have a website saved that lists the mashbills of many American distilleries. Regards your first list above, I have them all bar the Old Grandad & the Elijah Craig. Just waiting for the prices to fall within a reasonable range then I'll purchase those too.

As for the wheated bourbons I've only tried the Maker's Mark which I found to be superior to all others I have sampled. Bulleit Frontier Bourbon is another of my favourites. The Four Roses bourbon I thought to be rather plain but still drinkable and by no means unpleasant.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Ahhh, Jay, I shoulda known that you'd be on the ball! Well done. You and I agree on Four Roses. Not bad bourbon, it is just very unremarkable. Based upon your messages, it would appear you've built up a nice collection of bourbon. It is very good for a man to have options and be able to compare his options personally; you know...for science! ?

Cheers,

Chili

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It is very good for a man to have options and be able to compare his options personally; you know...for science! "

Indeed it is and I'm having great fun in so doing!

I have learned a great amount regards American whiskies in general from the kind members of this forum and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: chilipalmer
Mar 1, 2014
People should stop selling whisky at any proof other than Cask Strength.
I've never been disappointed with either Scotch or Bourbon in raw form.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Chili, I have a website saved that lists the mashbills of many American distilleries. Regards your first list above, I have them all bar the Old Grandad & the Elijah Craig. Just waiting for the prices to fall within a reasonable range then I'll purchase those too.

As for the wheated bourbons I've only tried the Maker's Mark which I found to be superior to all others I have sampled. Bulleit Frontier Bourbon is another of my favourites. The Four Roses bourbon I thought to be rather plain but still drinkable and by no means unpleasant.

Regards,

Jay.?
The Elijah Craig Small Batch is excellent stuff! Make it a point to pick some up when it becomes reasonable.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bladesmith, I just checked the price of Elijah Craig on Amazon and it's £40 for 70cl, I could get two litres of Jim Beam White label for that price!

I did however just snag an Evan Williams extra aged black label (new to me) and another Wild Turkey 101 for £51 for the two with free delivery ?

I'm not a tight guy, I am however a Yorkshireman who likes to wait for a bargain to come his way!

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.