PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
If there's one thing I hated when I first started in this hobby about a decade ago, it was rusticated pipes. Don't ask me why, but I never saw one I liked. Well, as we say, tastes change, and I'm now almost exclusively drawn to sandblasted/rusticated pipes. I have, however, been attracted to Savinelli's shape 122 from the get-go, but somehow never got around to picking one up until now.
I never really considered Rossi pipes before, but I love a good bargain, and MSO and others have spoken favorably of them in several posts on here. So, when SPC had a sale on pipes earlier this month, I picked up 2 Rossi Vittorias (shapes 8122 and 8804) for under $40 each.
I haven't smoked either yet, but they look great, don't feel remotely 'cheap', and the drilling seems spot-on. I'm going to start running some smoke through them tomorrow evening, and I can't wait to give a full report.
They both have a nice craggy black rustication, well-formed buttons, and good mortise-and-tenon fit.
image4-450x600.jpg

Here's the drilling of the draft hole on the 8804:

image2-1-450x600.jpg

And the mortise:

image1-1-450x600.jpg

And the drilling on the 8122:

image5-600x450.jpg

As you may have guessed from the photos, my stovetop/kitchen counter has the best lighting in my house on cloudy days...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
hap', thanks for the mention. I really like my Vittoria prince, and I admire your getting the 122; I have the 122 in another series and it is an excellent broad-bowled pipe for more complex blends. When Rossi's first came out, they were a little rough on finish, but when I bought mine and today, they're fine pipes. I also have a Rossi Palermo zulu.

Status
Not open for further replies.