PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've visited a lot of Goodwill stores, but have never found a pipe.
Many goodwill stores, at least here in Oz, aren't aware that estate pipes are of any worth [What we call an estate, many would call 'used and unhygienic']
Earlier in the year I spoke to a manager at my local Salvo op-shop where she was quite surprised that many pipe smokers buy estates to restore, especially when I mentioned the prices that certain brands like Dunhill can fetch.

Reactions: romaso

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Many goodwill stores, at least here in Oz, aren't aware that estate pipes are of any worth [What we call an estate, many would call 'used and unhygienic']
Earlier in the year I spoke to a manager at my local Salvo op-shop where she was quite surprised that many pipe smokers buy estates to restore, especially when I mentioned the prices that certain brands like Dunhill can fetch.
Working at a goodwill I can tell you it tru. I remember 2 years ago this was before I got in to pipe collecting that we gotten this big rack of pipes and was told to throw them away. Kind of pisses me off now thinking about it

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Before you shuffle off the mortal coil leave a confession for wife what you payed for your collection so they are not donated or offered in a garage sale !

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Goodwill told you to throw away a rack of pipes? Being an obedient fellow, I would have done it right away and thrown it away in the trunk of my car. Opps, missed the dumpster. Oh well. Home we go. No need to despoil the landfill. Objects thrown away cannot be stolen. Finders keepers, and all that.

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Before you shuffle off the mortal coil leave a confession for wife what you payed for your collection so they are not donated or offered in a garage sale !
That's a good idea. I reather see my collection go to somebody who would appreciate it even for a cheap price than thrown away hick I'll even reather them be giving away for free.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Goodwill told you to throw away a rack of pipes? Being an obedient fellow, I would have done it right away and thrown it away in the trunk of my car. Opps, missed the dumpster. Oh well. Home we go. No need to despoil the landfill. Objects thrown away cannot be stolen. Finders keepers, and all that.
Will at the time I was still smoking cigarettes so even tho I thought they were cool I just wasn't thinking about at the time. Plus corporate is so paranoid about you stealing it wouldn't be worth it. If I know what I know now I probably would've made a stronger case to sell them.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Walking through Goodwill I spotted a fairly new Bombay Company two tier caddy/valet/organizer. The top felt lined oval holds a pipe with help, and there are three wooden trays underneath for drying tobacco ! I know --- probably for change and keys but for $3.00 ... it works !!