PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Let the guys go at 11am this morning. Couldn't pour concrete with the sleet and snow so I loaded up the shotgun shut down the jobsite and took the dog grouse hunting for a couple hours. Enjoyed the snow, a pipe and the dogs company. Not enough birds for dinner but a great couple hours. Home now with the woodstove going and ribs in the slow cooker. Work is overated!

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
I have long thought work as overated even though I love what I do. Compared to hunting, fishing, and smoking a pipe, work is a necessity to support these habits and the habit of eating and having a roof over my head!

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Don't want to give the wrong impression lol as much as i enjoyed my day it doesn't go down this way often. Although self employment has its percs once in a while!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Sounds like a great day. I'll be headed out after coyotes this sat and you can bet there will be a few bowls enjoyed through out the day.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Had a pack of coys go through the other night. Neighbour and I are thinking it might be time to start clearing out the pack. Lots of kids waiting for the bus in the morning.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I sat on the porch last night with a bowl while listening to the coyotes howl. I think they are enjoying the cool nights now here in Missouri. I have to get in as many bowls as I can before the weather turns too cold to smoke outside. Oh, what we must put up with! :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sounds like a great day off Rob. Never been hunting before, but an afternoon in the woods with a pipe and a dog sounds like a pretty damn nice way to spend it. Have a great night and enjoy the ribs!

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Brian, there was a lot less hunting and a lot more smoking and walking given the size of the game bag hehehe. Come on up some Saturday and you can tag along. Who knows until you try it right. The grouse population is in no jeprody given my shooting skills though. :rofl:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
So did your loading of the shotgun create the shut down of the job site. Run boys... the boss is going postal! LOL
I agree... work is over-rated. Sounds like a good way to spend the day. What time is dinner? :mrgreen:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That does sound like a wonderful day piper. Where exactly are you located? I am assuming since you invited Brian up you are somewhere in the GWN.
I will be doing some hunting (if you can call it that) at a reserve this Thursday. Going for pheasant and chukar. Probably won't be smoking while walking (and hopefully shooting) but plan on having a few bowls after.
As I age I feel the fall is the best season for just about everything, and pipe smoking is no exception.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
We had a big problem last winter with 'yotes due to record snow falls (over 10 feet in some areas). Two reports of them coming into major cites and attacking people, and a lot more from smaller towns. I shot one that was stalking a couple of kids that were ice fishing. House pets in smaller towns were killed by the dozens by them. The Farmer's Almanac is calling for lots of snow this years as well so looking to thin them out before they can become a problem.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
One of these days I may take you up on that Rob. I'm not opposed to hunting in any way, just never had the opportunity to do it growing up in the city. I've just started fishing again (if you call 3 little crappies all summer fishing, even my 4 year old did better than I did!), so who knows maybe I'll turn into a REAL outdoorsman one of these days.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Wow Piper, I can almost picture the day you had in my mind...And you got to finish it off with some ribs. man!

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Been a retired school teacher-9th grade-for three years. Always believed that work was overrated. Then last week I ran into a former student who told me how important I was in his life. Little support from family but apparently lots of support from me got him through the touch times. Made me feel wonderful! I'm going to have some sherry and a bowlful in just a minute to celebrate.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well if you guys ever find yourself up this way we always have room. The wife just likes a couple days notice so she can shop ahead!

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@terry I had a teacher that did that for me Terry his name was Mike Martino and I had a chance to thank him later in life. There are some who still believe in teaching not just churning out a product. Sounds like your one of the good ones. In fact I have thought about teaching trades at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.