PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I am often asked what is a good intro to the Pete range for newbies.Of course giving the correct advice depends on many factors.However inevitably price is the main driving force!!

I often steer them to a little known pipe, the Tankard.The other main reason for doing so is that it also avoids them gambling on the vagaries of an introduction to the 'Systems' and any potential bad experiences.

Here is a photo of one ,the smooth Tankard,an excellent little Flake pipe IMHO.
pipedia31smoothtankard.jpg

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I just love the shape of that pipe and have drooled over the ones I have seen. They are such an unusual shape for what one might normally expect from Peterson. My only Meerschaum is the same shape and it fits so nicely in the hand.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
There is indeed Chuck, but the P&P is a little steep for me to the UK ($31).

I have however found some on a UK online tobacconist for $8 cheaper and the P&P will be a lot more easier to swallow I suspect.

Damn! yet another one to add to my wish list.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think those are great little pipes as well. I think my favorite inexpensive Pete would be the Shannon though. I found the only problem with them is that the bents you can't get a pipe cleaner into the bowl, or at least the 2 I have you can't. For a good flake pipe though I still grab one of my Tankards.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a nice little sandblast tankard that is perfect for flakes. Great suggestion for a starter .

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
I half agree.

It,s a lovely pipe indeed, the price is OK, is perfect for flakes but...

I feel it could be a difficult pipe for the absolute beginner due to the bowl's height/diameter ratio a bit in the high side.

You have to smoke it very carefully to burn completely the tobacco without leave a damp bottom.

Of course I love my Tankard, an old smooth one with the push stem. It's a joy to smoke it with 1792 or Best brown Flake from S.G.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I was very happy to see your suggestion TheSandPiper! Very happy indeed seeing as how it was my choice for my third pipe.
Chuck,... I'm pretty sure that's the one on Ebay I snagged last night. Wasn't a bad price, I figure I saved a couple bucks.
I can't wait to try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.