PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
So the other day I thoroughly enjoyed a bowl of PS Luxury navy flake. It was a nice flavour that lasted the entire bowl. Today I fired up a bowl of the same leaf, in the same bowl and I'm getting a near flavour-less, mediocre boring smoke. Anyone else get this from time to time? Not the first time this has happened
Could have something to do with your activity? I find LNF only yields its best when I sip. If I’m active and puffing too hard, it goes a little flat. Could be what you ate or drank previously. Great flake, though.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So the other day I thoroughly enjoyed a bowl of PS Luxury navy flake. It was a nice flavour that lasted the entire bowl. Today I fired up a bowl of the same leaf, in the same bowl and I'm getting a near flavour-less, mediocre boring smoke. Anyone else get this from time to time? Not the first time this has happened
Maybe the pipe didn’t rest enough. Had the pipe sat for a long time before you smoked the 1st one?
I’ve noticed if a pipe has sat a really long time that first smoke out of it is usually great.

also was the tobacco the exact same dryness and level of rubbing out?

Anyone else get this from time to time?
Yes, almost absolutely every time I smoke, something seems different. Mood, temp, humidity, time of day, what I ate, drank, what I am wearing, the way the stars line up, etc... That is what I love about this hobby. Variety is the spice of life.

Plus, I think there are more subtle variations in production tobaccos than we may be aware of. Sometimes LTF seems more like an aromatic to me, even when completely dry, and then it may be 50+ smokes of it before I ever get that same aromatic type smoke again.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
of course. And like people have said there are lots of factors. Also sometimes palate fatigue hits faster with certain blends then others. Which is just your brain getting bored with the same flavor and saying there is no reason to pay attention to it. And the thing is your sense of smell gets scent fatigue much faster then your taste buds get fatigue. And even if you're not whiffing the smoke it's still a huge part of taste (because the nasal membranes is open to the mouth). A great illustration of scent fatigue is when you go to the beach and after a few hours you stop noticing things about that ocean smell. It's pretty easy to deal with smoke something else or smell something with a strong scent. Might be worth experimenting with if this issue persists. But yeah I've noticed the same thing on occasions in fact sometimes it helps tease out nuances you wouldn't really pick up on the first smoke. Dark Twist seems to do this with me but in a really good way.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

It happens. I wish they all could be a Nirvana smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.