PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I am trying to buy a variety of tobacco ( diffferent styles and flavors) so that I know what I like and what is out there. Are these a good place to start?
1) Mac Baren Scottish Mixture ( for the technique of slow smoking)

2) Peterson's St. Patrick Day ( purely on a whim)

3) Craftsbury: Frog Morton (lots of people recommend as english)

4) Orlik Golden Sliced (#1 Seller on smokingpipes)

5) Dunhill Nightcap (Full bodied, from what I can tell)

6)Escudo Navy De Luxe (it's in circles ha ha)
Mainly looking to see if this is a good variety or if 2 of these are about the same. Thank you kindly in advance.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That looks like a good start to me. You have my top two on your list. Nightcap/Escudo.

I think that if you smoke multiple bowls a day, you should also develop a taste for the otc blends.

CH, PA, SWR, Granger, or many others provide easy, tasty comfort.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Those are all quite different. Note that Frog Morton is a very light, crossover English, where Nightcap is a very full English that will knock you on your keister. Since you are new, I would suggest Dunhill Standard, Peterson Old Dublin, or SG Squadron Leader for a more mainstream English.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I could suggest others but it would just reflect my own tastes. You have a very good sampler selected both in variety and quality. I'd work my way through those, keep notes, and then branch out.
Good luck and have fun.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
That is a good list.
The suggestion I would have would be to only open a tin or two at a time. It is a hard discipline as trying new blends is really fun, but you are looking at close to 3/4 pound of tobacco which is going to take some time to get through. Other option would be to get a bunch of mason jars to store blends after you open them.
Edit-Adding:
Just to get some background are you new to pipe smoking in general? Or coming from Aromatics? Still a good list, but some of those might be a little stout if not used to tobacco flavors.
Double Edit:
Scratch that, "stout" was the wrong term. Had the nightcap in my mind when I wrote that, rest of the list looks like you should be fine.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Looks like a good list to get a feel for those types of tobaccos. Keep a list of your impressions, likes and dislikes. If you gathered these on your own, I'm impressed. If a Tobacconist suggested these, your notes will help them guide you to your next choices.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I am new to the pipe. I have smoked cigars in the past. I know this is a lot of tobacco and I read on one other post that a few recommended smoking the mixture to force yourself to slow down and develop good technique. The others were chosen because I feel like they are a good variety and I know that one or two of these is strong and there was a reason for that, as to get an idea. I had planned on only opening a tin or two at a time due to the fact that I have no way to store these.
Newbroom, I don't know if I want to try otc tobacco because from what I understand they are better, and I can afford better. Not saying anything is wrong with otc.
Jud I will keep those in mind for my next order. Hopefully these give me an indication as to what I like.
Brass, what type of notes should i be keeping other than if i like it or not

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I did gather these on my own. I have done a bit of research, still don't quite understand all the differences between, latawhatever, and cavendish, and virginia, and english, and aero, but hopefully I will have a better understanding with these.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Like beast said earlier, jar it all up and take your time.

Keep hold of the ones you don't love initially and revisit them in a few months.

You will probably find your taste changing as time progresses.

Good range of tobacco you have there, enjoy and make sure to report back.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
BigRed, +1 on Beast recommendation of opening one or two tins at a time, and smoke through a tin, preferably a bowl or two every day. The idea is to get to know a blend in-depth and you can't do that by flitting from one bowl to another to another, like a bee flying over a sea of tulips. As a cigar smoker, you would know the maxim about not judging a cigar until you've smoked several sticks. Weather, company, mood, booze - it all can affect how you experience a cigar in different circumstances. Same goes for cigar blends.
When I discovered tinned tobaccos, I went a bit nuts and ordered hundreds of dollars worth in the first couple of months. I would order more tobaccos when I would read of a new release or someone would post a rave endorsement of their favorite blend or I would read repeatedly of legendary of blends like Escudo, or Penzance or 3 nuns or PS Luxury Bullseye, etc.
It wasn't long before I had a couple of dozen tins opened, and some jars that I neglected to label, some of it over-drying. I was embarrassed when one old timer asked me if I had ever finished a tin and I had to stop and think about.
I really didn't start to learn tobaccos until we started the Tobacco Crawl and I focused on one tobacco a weak, smoking a tin everyday until it was gone.
Regarding notes, I would suggest that you pick a tin or two and lookup the reviews here or tobaccoreviews.com. Pay attention to the ingredients, cuts, casings, etc. Light up a bowl and read the reviews. See if you can identify the ingredients, look for the profile (which is present but not as obvious as in better cigars). Look for tin notes, start, finish, volume of smoke, flavors, burn characteristics, bite or lack of bite, etc. Try the tobacco in cobs, briars, stacks and pots, big bowls and small. Note how much the bowl will affect the flavor. Sometimes it is almost as you are smoking a different blend entirely.
Go back to the same reviews about midway through your tin and then again when you're about to finish the tin. You'll be amazed at how different you perception is on the last bowl.
If you don't like a blend on the first bowl, persist, if can, through the entire tin. If you can't like it, then jar it and come back to it later...
Speaking of later, I have to get back to work.
If my suggestion sames like to much of a bother, no worries. It is your pipe and your baccies. Just stuff the pipes the way you want, smoke what interests you at the moment, and enjoy.
I smoked one pipe and one tobacco for years, and got as much pleasure from it that way as I do now with dozens of pipes and tobaccos. It was a different pleasure, more about comfort and familiarity, than the variety I now enjoy.
From what I can tell, the one truism that everyone in the community agrees on is, "Smoke what you want and like what you smoke." Anything else is pretty much opinion and taste.
Pax

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Newbroom, I don't know if I want to try otc tobacco because from what I understand they are better, and I can afford better. Not saying anything is wrong with otc.
Don't knock them 'til you try them. It' all about your personal smoking experience, not the price. The great majority of pipe smokers smoke the so-called Codger blends.
Congratulations on your wonderful selection of tinned tobaccos!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I think Pax summed it up perfectly
I can't believe how my tastes have changed over a short few years. A blend that I loved is now a blend a rarely go to.
My advice-slowly try different blends but wait a while before you stock up on anything
Enjoy the journey

Mar 1, 2014
#3-6 are perfect choices.

(Most MacBaren blends seem somewhat lacking in flavour to me, but it's still a good reference. MacBaren Scottish was also on my first order a year ago.)
I think the next most different category you should explore is the Lat-bomb in cake form. Nightcap has a lot of Latakia but it's different from the pressed cakes I've had. Look at Hermit tobacco (Captain Earle's) Stimulus Package or G.L. Pease Gaslight (those two blends have given me some of the tastiest bowls ever), and then an even smellier blend like Ten Russians or Pirate Kake after that.

(Ironically all of these are manufactured be Cornell & Diehl.)

friday

Might Stick Around
Aug 23, 2012
Looks good. For me, I would exchange out Frog Morton for Frog Morton Cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.