PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Cool to see for sure. Got into pipe smoking after they closed up. Good to see guys enjoying the mythical blends and ill be happy with some pics and reviews. Enjoy partner

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Cool to see for sure. Got into pipe smoking after they closed up. Good to see guys enjoying the mythical blends and ill be happy with some pics and reviews. Enjoy partner
Same. Everytime I see or hear someone reference Frog Morton or another McClelland blend I can't help but wonder if it's because they are that good or if it's because they aren't made anymore or both. Either way, enjoy the good things in life while you can!

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
So after smoking a bowl, it was a treat. I have more tobacco to last me enough 2 lives. Tonight while having a beer or 5, it made me think why not smoke blends i have been saving for a special occasion. What if i dont live to see that special moment. Cracked the FMC tonight and a 2006 of penzance tin tonight. Guys....dont wait.
Hear, hear!

Reactions: skeeter456

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
FMC is so good. A Forums member sent me a full tall unopened tin of it. And most of a package of Semois, and a Ferndown pipe. I'm still reeling, but the FMC is a distant but wonderful memory.

Reactions: brandaves

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Ketchup smell..? Tin note or room note? That does seem strange.
Before I was gifted a couple of ounces of McClellands Christmas Cheer [Virginia] I often wondered exactly what was meant by the 'McClelland ketchup' comments also.
There's a definite ketchup smell that one can also taste in the smoke [though the taste is not as strong as the smell]

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the ketchup smell comes from vinegar that I think is used to inhibit mould.

Christmas Cheer is the only McClelland blend that I've tried.
I'm glad that I did. Not only because I now know what is meant by the 'ketchup' comments, but also because it's quite good.
Not that I'd pay excessively for more as there's plenty of good Virginia blends available at reasonable price.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The ability to cut a stave into little segments and put it in a tin belongs to Mike McNeil of McClelland Pipe Tobacco not the clod who created the Plum Pudding tobaccos. Mike created Frog Morton Cellar and Stave 35 several years before that guy had a "revelation".