Good News. I found my birth year Dunhill!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Like this one. My Dad's 1929 birth year. :clap:
img_1727-600x400.jpg

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
My birthyear pipe is even more exact...I want a 1985 Christmas Dunhill, that's a birth month pipe! Now and then they'll pop up, but always rich. There's an '84 on ebay right now, close but no cigar..er pipe...ummm...

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Congratulations! There's been a real run on birth year Dunhills this past week or so. :puffpipe:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That specimen is a textbook example of the egregious chamber over-reaming by re-sellers that's taking over the PipeWorld these days. It was a topic of discussion here recently, in fact:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bowl-coating-decorating-and-over-restoration
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Oct 7, 2016
@georged I agree that the walls look a mite thin. But I have never seen a KM before, so I can't tell. Bowl does look coated for sure. But if it has been over reamed, it may or may not have been done by the seller. I have seen LC's in worse shape bring large $, from buyers fully aware of the condition issues. Will a KM be as sought after? Who knows.
To others who might read this thread, I am not really looking for a birth year anything. Thanks for the PM's.
I will say that having owned a few Patent # Post WWII Dunhills, they are among the finest smoking, best fnished pipes I have ever had the privilege of smoking.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
10-4 on not knowing who actually performed the surgery in most cases. I was mostly remarking on the Big Picture fact that way too many cool old pipes get found in attic trunks and dusty drawers, enter the ResellerWorld, and come out looking like that. And there's no rewind button. :cry:
As for liking Dunnies made from '46-'54, me too. It was definitely a good time for the brand.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The silver band is for reinforcement. George did it for me. The shank has some tiny stress fractures under the band that don't go to any edge. He also made the stem. The original stem that came with the pipe was owned previously by a beaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.