PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
The problem for me is moderation is boring. I’m kind of an all-or-nothing person. Life is better for me when I don’t keep booze in the house. It’s fine though. The golden age of bourbon waned about 15 years ago, glad I was drinking it at the optimum time. I feel the same about craft beer.

But yeah, a lot of the stuff they say is bad for you is actually good for you if done right. Listen to your body and instinct and not the news. If your instinct tells you it is good then it is good for you.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
I've been tasting many different whiskey types, and I wonder why bourbon is the one the article focuses on. Is it the corn?
I am ok with bourbon, but it is the sweetest of the whiskeys that I have found so far. Irish is the easiest to drink dry whiskey. just plain ol' whiskey is just too hot... except for rye, I can handle rye. Scotch seems to ride along the full spectrum from dry to sweet, smokey to mediciney. I have had a few that I like, but many of them would be better in an old fashion than sipping, IMO. Bourbon is just too sweet to me at times. But, I do like the coconuty, cocoa notes you can pick out in some of them.
It's been fun learning to taste them. Maybe it will add a few more days onto the end of my life, ha ha.

Yeh, responsibly. So far, just one sip over the line for me, and whiskey is the worst on my head. At least if I drink a tad too much wine, the room doesn't spin like a carnival ride. one shot is all I can take. I am still perplexed at folks that enjoy that sick feeling. I hope I never learn why. I don't want to end up sipping whiskey out of paper bag on the side of the road. puffy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've been tasting many different whiskey types, and I wonder why bourbon is the one the article focuses on. Is it the corn?
I am ok with bourbon, but it is the sweetest of the whiskeys that I have found so far. Irish is the easiest to drink dry whiskey. just plain ol' whiskey is just too hot... except for rye, I can handle rye. Scotch seems to ride along the full spectrum from dry to sweet, smokey to mediciney. I have had a few that I like, but many of them would be better in an old fashion than sipping, IMO. Bourbon is just too sweet to me at times. But, I do like the coconuty, cocoa notes you can pick out in some of them.
It's been fun learning to taste them. Maybe it will add a few more days onto the end of my life, ha ha.
I just assumed they only talked about bourbon because the article was posted on a bourbon website. The article never really explains why bourbon has the benefits. The only clue is it mentions ellagic acid and antioxidents.

I looked up ellagic acid. It is found in oak species such as the North American white oak which is used to make barrels for aging bourbon. I'm guessing that the bourbon pulls the ellagic acid out of the oak during aging. As for other spirits aged in used bourbon barrels I guess the question would be how much ellagic acid is left in the wood.

I just assumed they only talked about bourbon because the article was posted on a bourbon website. The article never really explains why bourbon has the benefits. The only clue is it mentions ellagic acid and antioxidents.

I looked up ellagic acid. It is found in oak species such as the North American white oak which is used to make barrels for aging bourbon. I'm guessing that the bourbon pulls the ellagic acid out of the oak during aging. As for other spirits aged in used bourbon barrels I guess the question would be how much ellagic acid is left in the wood.
I've been noticing barrel aged rums and tequilas in the store. I don't want to expand my tasting out too soon, but it's interesting that so many other spirits are becoming small batch and single barrel items as well. I guess it makes 'em some money... if they taste good.

Mar 1, 2014
The only alcohol I keep stocked now is Ardbeg and Laphroaig, and they are only consumed half a shot per-day, if I remember to take any that day, so I only buy one or two bottles per-year.
Good Scotch tastes very different from anything else I'd consume regularly so I do enjoy it for what it is.

Just as with nicotine my brain has no positive associations with any of the effects of alcohol, it just feels like suddenly becoming tired.

Last edited:

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I can get on board with #8. Relieves Cold Symptoms. I take a couple of shots before bed sometimes, just to open things up and help me sleep.
I also like to relax and sip a couple of fingers worth in a rocks glass, over an ice cube or two, with a good cigar or a pipe, but I usually know when to stop.
Buffalo Trace, Old Forrester and Yellowstone are the bottles that I keep on hand.