PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Picked up a pipe (again) earlier this fall. Fiddled with one a bit in college but it didn’t stick. Dad was a pipe smoker & now I’m kicking myself that I let his get away when he & mom downsized for the retirement community. Made my first pilgrimage to Iwan Ries; picked up a ridiculously sexy Savinelli Fantasia that I’m still too intimidated to fire up. Haven’t settled on a preferred smoke (pipe or tobacco) yet, although this early I lean toward aromatics. Currently buying myself way too many early Christmas presents on eBay. Find that I enjoy rehabbing nasty old estate pipes almost as much as smoking them once they’re ready. That about cover it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was a Chicagoland kid in an adjacent suburb. We used to walk to the city bus and transfer to the subway to get downtown on high school boy money. Later I commuted by train to what is now U of I Chicago. You need to fire up that Fantasia to celebrate joining Forums. Welcome aboard from central N.C., where I've been since 1972.

Reactions: jafo1989

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Welcome from another newbie. I too am working on pipe and tobacco preference. All my pipes are straight so I guess I do have preference :)

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
You've managed to wake up at an auspicious time in an especially pipe friendly part of the world.

There is a a local club of some renown, the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club and a handful of well stocked tobacconists / lounges in the city and near suburbs where the club meets.

The next few weeks are especially busy with store and club events if you are able to attend. There's a Dunhill trunk show at Iwan Ries this Friday. Next Saturday afternoon 12-11 is the CPCC holiday party at Arlington Pipe and Cigar in Arlington Heights (short walk from the metra station). That same shop is having their own customer appreciation event 12-17 with all sorts of discounts and giveaways.

I hope to bump into you soon!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Greetings and welcome from Idaho. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge and practical insight on the forum. You can search threads on tobacco types and blends on the forum.
Did your father smoke a particular blend or type of baccy?
Enjoy the journey as you hone your skills and discover what type of baccy you enjoy.

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
I was a Chicagoland kid in an adjacent suburb. We used to walk to the city bus and transfer to the subway to get downtown on high school boy money. Later I commuted by train to what is now U of I Chicago. You need to fire up that Fantasia to celebrate joining Forums. Welcome aboard from central N.C., where I've been since 1972.
I was born & raised in LaGrange Park. ?

Reactions: mso489

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Welcome from my Chicago vacation. I generally dislike cities but this one is pretty cool
I joke that if ever an employer wants me to relocate, they’ll need to double my salary. Since that’ll never happen, I’m in Chicago at least until retirement. ?

Reactions: mso489

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Ardent Savinelli devotee here, so +1 on the Fantasia for sure. A favorite aro of mine is MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake. Do yourself a favor and give it a try, you shan't regret it.

Enjoy the journey!
? Working through a pouch of Iwan Ries’ house Vanilla Cordial ATM.

Reactions: Servant King

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Greetings and welcome from Idaho. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge and practical insight on the forum. You can search threads on tobacco types and blends on the forum.
Did your father smoke a particular blend or type of baccy?
Enjoy the journey as you hone your skills and discover what type of baccy you enjoy.
Pops was a codger blend guy as I recall: Borkum Riff, Captain Black, etc. Kills me in hindsight that I didn’t step in to keep his pipes; he tended to buy nice things for himself when he was a bachelor….

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
You've managed to wake up at an auspicious time in an especially pipe friendly part of the world.

There is a a local club of some renown, the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club and a handful of well stocked tobacconists / lounges in the city and near suburbs where the club meets.

The next few weeks are especially busy with store and club events if you are able to attend. There's a Dunhill trunk show at Iwan Ries this Friday. Next Saturday afternoon 12-11 is the CPCC holiday party at Arlington Pipe and Cigar in Arlington Heights (short walk from the metra station). That same shop is having their own customer appreciation event 12-17 with all sorts of discounts and giveaways.

I hope to bump into you soon!
Realize I just missed CPCC’s November event. In-laws live in AH so I’m plenty familiar with the area to try & catch the December event.

mossdoug

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Somerset ohio
I joke that if ever an employer wants me to relocate, they’ll need to double my salary. Since that’ll never happen, I’m in Chicago at least until retirement. ?
I'm here until tomorrow, then back to southeastern ohio. I think we're going to explore the L today

Status
Not open for further replies.