PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Season Shot Now if only there was a way to roast them on the way down. If this isn't a hoax, it's one of the greatest things I've seen all day!

Helluva way to season the turkey at Thanksgiving. "Open the oven and step aside Grandma, I'm gonna inject some flavor into that bird!"

I can see Guy Fieri using this on his cooking show.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Ya always head shoot a bird so its a no go. Plus any shot destroyed meat is discarded

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
One has to wonder what sort of "seasoning" they are using, in order for the pellets to be dense enough to retain the terminal energy required for penetration at a reasonable distance. For steel shot you have to use 2-3 sizes larger than lead, I wonder what size of this would be equal to no. 4 turkey shot? FF? Triple-aught? Maybe Tri-Ball?

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
The "you will always aim for the head on a bird" statement doesn't quite stand true. Yes, if you are turkey hunting you are aiming just for the head. But Dove, Duck, Quail, Pheasant is a different story. You are aiming for the bird, not the head. Any meat that has shot in it is not discarded. I have discarded Deer meat due to "blood shock"(trauma that the bullet caused blood bruising in part of the flesh surrounding the wound) however, shotgun shot in a bird doesn't cause this. I have only discarded a handful of birds in my life. They were simply shot at too close of range and the shot was so close together the bird was utterly destroyed. I mostly dove hunt, and on a dove you are only eating the breast meat. You generally at most see 1-2 shot holes in the breast of a dove. For this product to work it eould need enough shot in the flesh to be eaten that it would edge on tearing it up. To each his own, and the inventor was being creative. I would not purchase this however. Not a chance. I might use some if they gave it to me, but that is it. I would say the inventors best chance with this product is turning it into a new alternative to "steel shot" for waterfowl. Of course it would have to be proven, and then made a legal option. If it could be pulled off however and made a good load, i'm sure it could be cheaper than currently available quality steel shot for duck hunting($20-$30 per box of 25 shells). I think the seasoning idea is quite ludacris however. Just my $.02.

B

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Definitely odd. H

Hitting a pheasant or low flying duck in the head is pretty doable with some practice (ring necks have that nice white "shoot me here" mark) but yes quail and dove are an entirely different story. Still, one always hopes to lead the bird enough to place most of the shot somewhere other than the breast. I speak from experience, having ruined some perfectly good quail with a sloppy shot taken too soon after the flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.