PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Today, I felt like smoking Escudo in Dawn Mist Maritime clay pipe.
The thing about this pipe is that it's a cutty pipe; a.k.a. nose-warmer with its stem-length less than 3 inches long.
I had expected it to be a dangerous idea since Virginia burns like Hell and such a short stem would not protect me from losing my tongue.
Surprisingly, it was rather much pleasant; only the tingly-sensation of Perique, but no tongue-bite at all.
So, the lesson that I learned: pipe stem length is not directly proportional to the chance that you'll be safe from having tongue-bite.
I think I'm starting to love cutty pipes due to its portability and ability to deliver the pure taste.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the post. I think it will encourage others to try a clay. I smoke one on occasion, but its long vulcanite stem makes it a different experience.

ClayStitched.jpg

Claythree.jpg

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Oh wow, I have never seen anything like that before! Btw, did you smoke aromatics with that too? English blends are quite taking a long time to get patina...

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I love my Wally Franks Dublin nose warmer aint really a cutty cuz it aint got the nub on the bottom for what it is worth i wax this like a meer
dritywally.jpg

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a couple of Dawn Mists too. The only problem I have with clays is how hot the bowls get.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
mushjoon asked
did you smoke aromatics with that too?

English blends are quite taking a long time to get patina...

I've had this since the late 1960's -- so long that I don't remember who made it. The mark on the shank says "Manhattan",

but I think that's just the style name. I've smoked a variety of different blends in this pipe, but mostly Danish cavendish blends

and Virginias. Not a big fan of American aromatics (OTC) or Latakia blends. This is a glazed, double-bowled pipe, and I would

smoke it more if the bowl didn't get so hot. Mind you, the smoke stream is cool and dry, but the bowl really heats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.