PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good day everyone,

I smoke a pipe in college but didn't know what I was doing (and lost it somewhere along the way!) and got back into it just over a month ago. When I was a lad, the smell of someone piping was a magical scent that I always found enjoyable. unfortunately my family was all cigarette smokers so I have to learn how to pipe through trial/error and wonderful resources such as these forums.

I started again with some good old fashioned drug store specials, a cob(removed the filter) and some Captain Black Gold because it smelled the best out of the OTC selections I had. Since then I have invested in a Peterson Killarney Red 338 (a disappointment, the holes aren't drilled properly so I can't get a cleaner all the way through) and some C&D blends (OJK red and white, oriental silk, star of the east gold, and epiphany). I also picked up a Capri Gozzo #4. I smoked these for a few weeks and recently got a Savinelli ONE 601 beginner kit (I put the adapter instead of the filter in) and a few more MM cobs.

I also picked up some other aromatics like Mac Baren Seven Seas Gold, Lane 1Q and 1000 which I smoke out the cobs. As of yesterday I really noticed that I enjoy the rich smokiness of the non-aro blends like Star of the East and the OJKs. I tried the Seven Seas today and it doesn't have the same depth of flavor, hope that I come back to these as I truly enjoy the scent of the Gold blends but my taste buds tell me its lame.

I got a box of goodies today that I am looking to break into over the next few weeks including;
Mac Baren - 7 seas white
4th generation - morning blend
Peterson - 965/irish whiskey/early morning pipe
C&D - Sea Dog
Seattle Pipe Club - Wild Man

I have lots of questions but I think that time spent smoking will clear most of them up. The one thing that does make me wonder is that all 3 of my pipes are gurgling - sometimes I know it was wet tobacco or smoking too quickly so that just more trial/error until I find the sweet spot for moisture level in the tobacco.

The one question I really have is can I continue to smoke through the gurgle or should I stop and run the pipe cleaner through? The reason I ask is that I can't run the cleaner through the Peterson and it doesn't always want to go through the other 2 either. Will smoking through the gurgle damage the pipes? or just create some nasty liquids that sometimes travel up the stem?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being part of the community.

Have a great day,
Walter
Gurgle means you're smoking too wet and hot. Though it shouldn't damage a pipe but it does make the current smoking of the pipe annoying. If you're getting gurgle in a cob too, you're smoking too wet and too fast for certain. I've never gotten gurgle with a cob. Also packing tightly leads to more gurgle. Basically keep trying dryer and slower and read up on packing technique and at some point it will click and you'll find your sweet spots.
Also the seven seas blends are really great in my opinion but my usual practice with tins is to open it a week before I start smoking it (in earnest can't resist that first bowl) which puts it at a better moisture level, the thing is with all the seven seas blends it takes two weeks. The difference is startling with those ones.
Also insert one of those New Jersey jokes you've heard too often here.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Good day everyone,

I smoke a pipe in college but didn't know what I was doing (and lost it somewhere along the way!) and got back into it just over a month ago. When I was a lad, the smell of someone piping was a magical scent that I always found enjoyable. unfortunately my family was all cigarette smokers so I have to learn how to pipe through trial/error and wonderful resources such as these forums.

I started again with some good old fashioned drug store specials, a cob(removed the filter) and some Captain Black Gold because it smelled the best out of the OTC selections I had. Since then I have invested in a Peterson Killarney Red 338 (a disappointment, the holes aren't drilled properly so I can't get a cleaner all the way through) and some C&D blends (OJK red and white, oriental silk, star of the east gold, and epiphany). I also picked up a Capri Gozzo #4. I smoked these for a few weeks and recently got a Savinelli ONE 601 beginner kit (I put the adapter instead of the filter in) and a few more MM cobs.

I also picked up some other aromatics like Mac Baren Seven Seas Gold, Lane 1Q and 1000 which I smoke out the cobs. As of yesterday I really noticed that I enjoy the rich smokiness of the non-aro blends like Star of the East and the OJKs. I tried the Seven Seas today and it doesn't have the same depth of flavor, hope that I come back to these as I truly enjoy the scent of the Gold blends but my taste buds tell me its lame.

I got a box of goodies today that I am looking to break into over the next few weeks including;
Mac Baren - 7 seas white
C&D - Sea Dog

I have lots of questions but I think that time spent smoking will clear most of them up. The one thing that does make me wonder is that all 3 of my pipes are gurgling - sometimes I know it was wet tobacco or smoking too quickly so that just more trial/error until I find the sweet spot for moisture level in the tobacco.

The one question I really have is can I continue to smoke through the gurgle or should I stop and run the pipe cleaner through? The reason I ask is that I can't run the cleaner through the Peterson and it doesn't always want to go through the other 2 either. Will smoking through the gurgle damage the pipes? or just create some nasty liquids that sometimes travel up the stem?

Have a great day,
Walter
Welcome from Virginia

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Good day everyone,

Mac Baren - 7 seas white
C&D - Sea Dog

Have a great day,
Walter
Welcome from Indiana! Gurgles are never fun and for me cause a sour taste. I have three thoughts:

First, yes, use a pipe cleaner midsmoke to help with moisture. I found it is helpful to put one end of the pipe cleaner in and twist, pull it out, then put the clean end in and pull back out. This helps to remove excess moisture and any that may have been pulled up the stem.
Second, once I discovered retrohale or breathing in through the nose this cut down on moisture significantly. I am still perfecting this technique but found I have less moisture, a cooler smoke, and better taste.
Third, I have not tried this but you could look into these small rocks that sit in the bottom of the bowl that is supposed to help with moisture. I think Nording sells a box.

NJJesters10

Lurker
May 5, 2022
New Jersey
The humidity dropped to below 30% here and i was able to dry out my tobaccos, to the point of being almost crunchy and this has been a game changer. Bowls smoke with only a few relights, mininal smoke and lots of enjoyment. Really enjoying the Star of the East gold blend right now!

Also the drying really helped the aromatics as well and i have enjoyed several of them over the past few days. Hell, smoking a pipe went from being something close to work to the relaxing, peaceful experience it is meant to be!

I appreciate all the advice and look forward to continuing to develop my technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.