PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
An excellent idea, zanthal. Now who are you buying in bulk from online?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Captain Black ain't bad and its like $5 for a bag. and if it doesnt fit your fancy add a few drops of bourbon, always works for me especially if it dried out.

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
Definetly find yourself a corncob pipe. You want a Missouri Meerschaum, a quality cob made in America. Avoid those cheap cobs from China. A $5 MM cob will provide years of good service!
Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Half & Half, are all good options. You might be able to score a MM cob and a pouch of any of those for about $10.
Lane's 1Q is a solid smoke if you like sweeter tobacco. Might need to hit an online vendor for it, which will likely also carry MM cob pipes. I think pipesandcigars.com has 4 oz of 1Q for about $8.50. A 1.5 oz pouch in most places around me runs $4 or so, so online is a nice option.

brent76

Lurker
Jan 26, 2012
I ran across this new Consumer Goods report today. It might be of interest - I found it at http://www.fastmr.com/prod/283841_cigarettes_in_france.aspx.

Let me know your thoughts.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Depends on what part of the country Masked1 is in. Here in NC, I could get a cob and a pouch of SWR for about 9 and change if I looked around. PA is about the same as the SWR when I found both together. But, out in Utah, I never seen a true MM cob in any shops I went into.
Check for your local shop and see what bulk blends they have. Maybe you can get an ounce or two for under $5. Might even sample you an ounce or so to try. Then you can get a cob, also.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
My pick for an economical tobacco would be Carter Hall. It's a darn good smoke and my main tobacco for many years before I discovered the internet. If you had a little more money and were a Balkan fan, I would suggest Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, an excellent smoke that can be bought at Mars Cigars at a very good price.
Smokey

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I'll second or third or whatever it is by now the PA and Carter Hall

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
First I will say that for me "cheap" and "low-cost" are not the same. The element of "value" is a key component in the decision. I point to a MM cob as a classic example. A great value for the low price, which is more than reasonable. A poor tobacco is a poor tobacco of low value to me at any price. (even free, some tobacco is too expensive. LOL). Taking value into account, and then cost, I would offer up CH, PA, or Walnut. Great value for the money, and it just so happens to be low cost.
:puffpipe:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My first smoke was a $15 estate briar and a pouch of CBW. It was a "good enough" smoke. Not the best, but still made smoking worth doing for me. If you don't like CBW, get the PA or CH. Some people never go beyond a $5 cob and a pack of PA and are perfectly happy in life.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Has anyone tried the "super value" brand???

at least i think it's called super value... "value" something.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
The PA Soft Vanilla and Cherry Vanilla are both good values IMHO. I didn't care for SWR when I first bought it, had no taste to me. But after I got my $4 flea market pipe and tried it in that I had a whole new experience and respect for SWR! The pipe, I found out, surely can make all the difference in the smoke!

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Lanes 1Q would be my choice along with PA Cherry Vanilla. JR's has 1Q and sells it buy the ounce or bulk. They also carry other Lane tobacco which are also good. MM is also a great choice I have 3 or 4 that I smoke. Just my 2 cents worth. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is, of course, a thread which originated 6 months ago with someone out looking for an inexpensive smoke. :P

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This is, of course, a thread which originated 6 months ago with someone out looking for an inexpensive smoke
LOL!
Anyway, since people are reading this - right now Pipesandcigars.com has a nice sale on Sutliff Private Stock. I just picked myself up some Maple Street and Molto Dolce. Never tried them before, but I've heard good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.