PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
In the UK, a corncob costs from £12 (eg Country Gentleman) to about £28 for something more fancy.

A Falcon (stem and bowl) is roughly £30

What other makes are reasonably good first pipe up to around the £30 mark?

Not interested in estate pipes. I think that is more of a US thing than a European thing.

This is just more of my research in case anyone asks. The answers may help somebody.

Thanks

Reactions: weezell

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
For 30 bucks you can get a bunch of simple clay pipes, each of them being ready at any time to give you a great smoke with an honest flavor. They come in many different sizes and shapes so there should be something for everyone, and everyone can afford one. It's the pipe of the people.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
GQ Tobaccos have Falcon Coolway, traditional briar/push stem, for 22. Their own house branded pipes for 25. Josh Brumfit for 31. Parker for 34. And Rattrays for 35.

Smoke.co.uk carries Barber B lines for 35. Have only heard good things about those. That'd be my recommendation.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In the UK, a corncob costs from £12 (eg Country Gentleman) to about £28 for something more fancy.

A Falcon (stem and bowl) is roughly £30

What other makes are reasonably good first pipe up to around the £30 mark?

Not interested in estate pipes. I think that is more of a US thing than a European thing.

This is just more of my research in case anyone asks. The answers may help somebody.

Thanks
I cannot believe the cost of corn cob pipes outside of North America.

I don't know what is available in the UK, but are there some lower grades of Savinelli / Rossi you could get for that price point?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Brigham has some inexpensive pipes, Peterson Irish Seconds are only 54 euro on SP EU. Those Barbers looks pretty darn good.

Spend what you want, but I've never understood "cheap first pipe" - if it is an experiment spend a little extra to get something of decent quality and give it a fair chance, and another $10 - $25 just isn't a that much of a real barrier.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Inexpensive no-name pipes are more of a gamble, especially if you aren't particularly experienced in buying pipes and don't know what to look for. But you can get fine smoking pipes at the lower price range that will give as good a smoking experience as any.

I'd agree with the MM cobs; I prefer to pay a little more and get the special edition pipes with acrylic stems, though the inexpensive hardwood pipes have plastic stems that are durable. Other brands include the aforementioned Falcon and Rossi. I like Parker and Britannia pipes that are moderately priced. I enjoy French made Genod, Ropp, and Chacom, among others.

If you take your time, you can find good deals on pipes, new and estate. I recently bought a Stanwell pipe with a MSRP of $78 for $39 from an online retailer. So-called basket pipes in pipe shops sometimes include name brands that the proprietor has decided to unload for a lower price, so they are worth a look.

pistolero

Lurker
Sep 27, 2019
Raleigh, NC
To each his own, but for me, pipe smoking is partly a visually aesthetic interest, and if I were limited to Falcons, I just wouldn't smoke.
I can see liking pipes that look good to you. I don't buy pipes that I think are ugly. But results are where it's at.
But giving up smoking altogether if you can't have a pretty pipe? That's going too far, man! I'm no quitter. ;)

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
To each his own, but for me, pipe smoking is partly a visually aesthetic interest, and if I were limited to Falcons, I just wouldn't smoke.
That seems quite the superficial statement.

I am an appreciator of tobacco, so yes - I do have some pretty pipes, but I certainly don't frown at a Falcon.

Firstly = I don't think Falcon's look that terrible. They were also quite innovative for their time and are at least interesting as a piece of good functional design.

For a beginner who is looking for a budget pipe, I think they function better than most options at that price bracket (other than maybe cobs).

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I think having a pipe whose appearance you like probably enhances the experience on a psychological level.

Its a bonus if somebody else likes your pipe.

This could apply to any material thing I suppose.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Firstly = I don't think Falcon's look that terrible. They were also quite innovative for their time and are at least interesting as a piece of good functional design.
I think some stem bowl combos look better than others.

I like the twisted stem with the colour. But prefer the look of the bent.

Overall I like the appearance of the Falcon. Has a sort of steampunk vibe.