PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpipes

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I might be posting this in the wrong sub-forum, please move if i have! But here we go.
I've come across Golden Gate pipes on ebay, they are priced at around $60-$80 Canadian. Has anyone every tried one? I'm looking to upgrade to a better briar pipe but if its not a good smoking pipe, then ill just grab an extra bit of cash and buy a Peterson or Rattray's.
This is the link to one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Custom-BRIAR-Smoking-Pipe-tobacco-smoking-pipe-POKER-gold-BRIAR-smoking-pipe/151472098265?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
I've also come across this forum post on Brothers Of Briar:

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t25000-golden-gate-pipes

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
From what I hear, GG quality is a hit and a miss. I would say spend a little more and order a custom made pipe from shikano53. Chris makes a great pipe and does not charge arm and a leg for it. He is in Alberta.

May 4, 2015
As mentioned, if I had $80 for a pipe GG would be pretty far down my list. Estate pipes of consistent quality can be had from many reputable online retailers.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have two GG pipes, that rarely get smoked. They are not bad, just I have many more pipes now. I think they were in the $20 range. If you are just starting to smoke a pipe, then these will help you expand your pipe collection. If you already have a collection, there are better pipes.

scpipes

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I like Christopher's pipes. I may be indulging myself to one.
Are there any other craftsmen who are in the sub-100 dollar category you would suggest?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have bought two GG pipes in the past. One was briar and the other pear wood. I found them to be very well made and smoked excellent. I sold the briar as the bowl was smaller than I liked, but kept the pear wood pipe because I can put just about anything in it and it will smoke great. That being said, I also have two of Christopher's pipes and they are better than the GG pipes, so I would encourage you to buy one of his if you find one you like. Good luck, and have fun!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I bought Orley's small GG pipe. It's a nice little pipe for a short smoke, well drilled and smokes well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take a look online at Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan (almost Canada). Nice range of prices beginning pretty low, and all oil cured. I'm referring to their house-made pipes, Cayuga.

scpipes

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Vancouver, BC
mso489, i'm in B.C. so Paul's Pipe Shop might be a tad to far for me to venture to. Maybe one day when i'm in Toronto i'll swing down.

jurgen

Lurker
Jan 23, 2019
Hello, friends!

GG good pipes for its price.

For the price of up to $ 50, I don’t know their alternative.

I know a lot about them.

I can answer the questions.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
For the price of up to $ 50, I don’t know their alternative.
$50 will get you unused Rossi, Ropp and some other French pipes. In estates - Savinelli Punto Oro can be easily found fir under $60. So are Stanwells, Petersons and Vauen.

Anything mass produced from former Union - no, thank you. Custom made - different story.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am a huge fan of my new Kaywoodie pipes. After collecting the old for years, the new push tenon and no stinger pipes are made by a fourth generation pipe maker and President of the company. $50 gets a Super Grain, but Standards and others are less. Or for the $100 range you can get some really cool pieces. Check out the Virgin Grain pipes at that price range! I just snagged two of those.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Check out Blatter & Blatter in Montreal
http://www.blatterpipes.com/cat.htm
Small pipes starting at $65 Cdn. Standard start at $85 You will have to contact them via email if you wish to purchase one though. I can't say enough about how nice these guys are to deal with in person or email.

Status
Not open for further replies.