PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
It would be hard to argue against the last 5 years being MY golden age of pipe tobacco.

The only really good argument is in looking at all the good tobacco I could have bought (thinking mostly of McClelland and Esoterica) from the time I was first dabbling in pipe smoking 20+ years ago, until 2017. Of course, I was poorer then, and for 12 of those years, online ordering was a no-go since I was in either Canada or Washington State. Of course, I was also in proximity to two good pipe/tobacco shops while in WA, but my limited budget kept me from developing TAD or PAD. (My wife thanks me for this, no doubt.)

Now I have over 12 lbs. of tobacco (all of good to excellent quality, aging away gracefully) in the cellar. And yet there are so many available blends I want to buy and try, and no limitations on internet ordering and no exorbitant taxes (yet 😅).

I have nothing to complain about, I can tell you that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In terms of online availability of an incredibly wide variety of blends, artisan pipes, estate pipes, and pipe brands, many at competitive prices despite all the tobacco and sales taxes, and rapid delivery in most cases, this is maybe the digital golden age. Obviously, there are many glorious aspects of pipe smoking that have dropped or faded into the past -- some superlative assets lost, some radiant in the shimmer of nostalgia.

The deeming regs, if they don't also fade into the past, may teach us all to gain variety in blends by mixing our own with what is available, thus giving us a do-it-yourself golden age. Not to be starry eyed, but we do tend to make our own golden age, if we are not too downtrodden to do it.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
In terms of online availability of an incredibly wide variety of blends, artisan pipes, estate pipes, and pipe brands, many at competitive prices despite all the tobacco and sales taxes, and rapid delivery in most cases, this is maybe the digital golden age. Obviously, there are many glorious aspects of pipe smoking that have dropped or faded into the past -- some superlative assets lost, some radiant in the shimmer of nostalgia.

The deeming regs, if they don't also fade into the past, may teach us all to gain variety in blends by mixing our own with what is available, thus giving us a do-it-yourself golden age. Not to be starry eyed, but we do tend to make our own golden age, if we are not too downtrodden to do it.
THIS

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For me, the “First Golden Age” would be the late 1970s through mid-1980s. That was when I first picked up a pipe and my days were filled with discovery, visiting lots of pipe shops, requesting mail-order catalogs, reading as many books as I could find. In 1983, I started working in a pipe shop, where I met my first “brethren of the briar” (including, if I may, our female owner), got to try an extensive array of pipe tobaccos (and cigars), and stayed for five of some of the happiest years of my life.

But beyond those personal attachments: At that time, there was a Tinder Box in every mall, you could often find estate pipes at a good pipe shop, Barry Levin was mailing out stacks of photos of estates for sale (can’t tell you how many pipes I bought from that man), you could pretty much smoke everywhere, and there was no shortage of good-to-great—if not historic—blends on the shelves.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
For me it is now. I can get tobacco now, I can order it online, I can order it abroad and tobacco now is cheaper than tommorow.

Ive had my first experience with 10-11 year old blends which where both amazing, but I think some blends can be as good when I buy them now and put them away for 10 years. And I have no idea what they where when smoked fresh, so it's no use to compare.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think some blends can be as good when I buy them now and put them away for 10 years.
Absolutely. As far as I’m aware, apart from one C&D series of blends, all blends were made to be smoked when purchased. In fact, I noticed that one blender actually advertises that their tins are not designed for long-term storage; their tobaccos are meant to be smoked now.

Reactions: Singularis

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You pick a date, but I'd go with the time before McClelland closed shop. Though, I have to admit that picking up Balkan Sobranie and the true Dunhill's would be very nice.

Reactions: Elric

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Absolutely. As far as I’m aware, apart from one C&D series of blends, all blends were made to be smoked when purchased. In fact, I noticed that one blender actually advertises that their tins are not designed for long-term storage; their tobaccos are meant to be smoked now.
My statement was more about a ten year old tin now vs putting away a tin of fresh tobacco now for 10 years. People harken back on the quality of tobaccos from yesteryear. While I didn't smoke at that time so I have no really experience to back it up, I think there are some very good blends now that will have the same "aged" qualities I experienced on a 10 year old tobacco now.

Reactions: Singularis

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My statement was more about a ten year old tin now vs putting away a tin of fresh tobacco now for 10 years. People harken back on the quality of tobaccos from yesteryear. While I didn't smoke at that time so I have no really experience to back it up, I think there are some very good blends now that will have the same "aged" qualities I experienced on a 10 year old tobacco now.
Well, I still agree with you! :) There definitely are many wonderful blends available to pipe smokers these days that I have no doubt will age beautifully. Fifty years from now, pipesmokers will get just as teary about what they missed out on “back in the ‘20s” as we do now about decades past.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
for me personally right now. One haven't had any negative reactions from anyone which isn't that big of deal but we're talking Golden age. I can get tobaccos I never could have dreamed of. Our local could get most stuff but basically if you wanted certain things you had to buy the box or roll. One older guy bought a roll of Balkan Sobraine about every month or so. I've tried more blends and found ones that elevated my enjoyment tremendously. I know more about pipes too and how to use them. So for me right now is the best pipe smoking time ever.

Reactions: Grangerous