PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I’ve been building a collection of Pipe by Lee pipes for a while, and came across this Gold Coast—a PbL second maker—on eBay. I’ve never seen one at a show or store, so I snagged it.
Other than a dirty stinger and a bit of surface grime the only real question was the rim.
I managed to get it clean with Murphy’s only to find the entire rim surface pitted and nicked. I semi-topped it with 240-600 grit sandpaper, stopping when the stain started to look thinner, so there’s a little pitting left.

There was only a light oxidation, but I was doing another pipe so both stems went in an OxyClean bath, which got the stinger clean. The stem chatter didn’t seem like much, but a heat treatment didn’t get it all, so I did go ahead and sand/micro mesh it to get rid of most of the tooth marks.
A touch of wax and it looks nice again. This being the first Gold Coast I’ve seen, I can see why it’s a second. The build looks good, but the grain is unremarkable…boring, even. Much like a Rossi vs Savinelli. Now to see how it smokes.

Attachments

• 99BB3B98-2A54-46B8-BF9A-E5AE665C170B.jpeg
    99BB3B98-2A54-46B8-BF9A-E5AE665C170B.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 2

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Nice. Any history on this one?
I have zilch except a comment on either Pipedia or pipephil that the company was a seconds line of Pipes by Lee. When some companies disappear, they really disappear.

Had an inaugural smoke of Old Joe Krantz in it this morning. May not be as pretty as the main line, but smoked just as well.

Reactions: dmcmtk

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Nice job.

Heat treatment to remove tooth chatter? Never heard of that before.
Care to explain how that works?
Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a couple of Lee pipes over the years and were good little smokers. Very nice save.?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nice job.

Heat treatment to remove tooth chatter? Never heard of that before.
Care to explain how that works?
Thanks.
Much like this, but lifting indentation instead of oxidation removal.

Heat can be used in many restoration stages. Chatter removal, cleaning oxidation, and swelling a tenon for a loose stem are just a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.