PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I was recently looking for some Gold Block, as I mentioned in another thread. I'd like to try it even though it seems not to be especially well regarded in its current form. I know it was one of the most popular blends in England at one time and some famous pipe smokers enjoyed it.

After contacting Mac Baren, I received a response that Gold Block is still in production, but is no longer available in the United States. It continues to be widely available in the UK, it seems. They recommended St. Bruno Ready Rubbed, which was another blend from the Ogden's of Liverpool families as something I might enjoy instead.

I am unable to find any UK tobacco merchant that will ship to the US, apparently credit card regulations have recently inhibited this.

If anyone knows of a source or has some to swap, I'd listen to a PM.

Just wanted to document this for anyone who may look for it in the future.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It was available over here a few years ago since Jim Inks reviewed the stuff. It was so finely cut it had an almost RYO quality about the stuff. The original was very good but like everything always seemed better in the past! To quote L.P. Hartley 'The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there".

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Haddes Best Irish from HU reminded me of the old Gold Block…..only better. The current version of Gold Block whilst different, is about as good as the older version….which wasn’t all that to be honest. You can mix it 50/50 with St. Bruno & that works OK. Probably better off though, just buying two pouches of St. Bruno.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have a very old tin of Gold Block somewhere that we opened at The Lehigh Valley Pipe Club a few years back. It failed to wow anyone. Wessex Gold Brick, on the other hand used to be quite good. I have an unopened one in my humidor that probably has seven or eight years on it. Something else that may give you you a better ride for your money though is a Gold Buick:
https://barnfinds.com/gold-edition-1964-buick-riviera/

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I'd be inclined to go with their recommendation of St.Bruno.

BUT a caveat: Though I do enjoy many Mac Baren blends I have to note that since taking over St.Bruno and Erinmore both seemed to be quite a bit weaker in the magic sauce. Not sure of the current flakes though as I haven't revisited them.

I also found the original Gold Block to be a pretty dull affair I agree with @simong - the Major was indeed the best thing about it.

Reactions: coys and simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I have a very old tin of Gold Block somewhere that we opened at The Lehigh Valley Pipe Club a few years back. It failed to wow anyone. Wessex Gold Brick, on the other hand used to be quite good. I have an unopened one in my humidor that probably has seven or eight years on it. Something else that may give you you a better ride for your money though is a Gold Buick:
Gold Edition!? 1964 Buick Riviera - https://barnfinds.com/gold-edition-1964-buick-riviera/
Some might say you’ll get a better ride in a roller. With cars as in pipes & tobacco’s ‘British is Best’.🙂
EAEC46A4-125F-4B05-BA4B-2DC1C4820424.jpeg
Or how about a Gold Bikini…..built for comfort, not for speed.
7247B354-6FBD-4E5D-9EC4-6707C7DF0171.jpeg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
One of my treasured memories is of being snowbound in a Holiday Inn near Marlborough, Massachusetts. I spent a delightful afternoon biding defiance to the weather with a good book, a pot of hot coffee, my pipe, and a new tin of Gold Block by Ogden's of Liverpool. The fact that I could smoke in my room may give you an idea of how long ago this was. Regardless, it became a favorite on that day.

What a shame that it, like too many other good things, has been relegated to the past.