Going To Vietnam, Any Members From There? Or Any Tips While Visiting?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
We are heading to Vietnam at the end of March for a couple of weeks.
Are there any forum members from there who could fill me in about the state of pipe smoking there.
From what I gather most people smoke cigs or a local tobacco which is consumed through bamboo pipes.
Is it even possible to get pipe tobacco that I might recognise?
I will take a tin with me anyhow but would like to see what might be availabe otherwise.

How have folks, who have been there recently, found the experience?

Reactions: danimalia

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Visited in 2005 with a bunch of vets and fellow college students. Can't tell you about pipe smoking, but what I can tell you is that is is cheap, cheap, cheap, has amazing food, and is incredibly beautiful. I'll never forget it.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I went in 2016 on a motorcycle trip. At the time I didn't smoke a pipe, but I did get to try the infamous water-bong pipe. Whatever tobacco they use is super high in nicotine and gets you lit. I took one good hit and the old Vietnamese guy started video recording me because I was swaying back in forth in a trance. It's really strong and I don't reccomend doing it unless you have eaten your days worth of calories in one sitting. Took another hit and got green in the face, walking through the industrial section of Hanoi, holding onto each lampost as I walked past. Side effects subsided about 10 minutes later but I never felt so sick from nicotine in my life. As far as regular pipe smoking, I didn't see any shops, but that was in Hanoi. You may have better luck down in Ho Chi Minh, the capital. But then again, I wasn't particularly looking out for them.

Here's an article you may want to look at:

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
No matter where you spend the night, you must set your alarm for about 530 Am and wake up step outside and say ... GOOD MOOOORNING VIETNAM!!

Reactions: mikey517 and kola

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
always wanted to visit vietnam. my father was in korean army, mandatory in korea, few months before we joined in. for whatever reason i have great interest in that country. it has nothing to do with the fact i love rare steak pho.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Oh, I forgot to mention this but just in case, please be careful with scams! These unfortunately do exist in Vietnam, certain areas are very... party oriented, if you catch my drift, and there's a decades old economy of catching sucker tourists in these areas. Do your research if you plan to visit any bar neighborhoods or night life areas.

Tranphii298

Lurker
Dec 25, 2019
We are heading to Vietnam at the end of March for a couple of weeks.
Are there any forum members from there who could fill me in about the state of pipe smoking there.
From what I gather most people smoke cigs or a local tobacco which is consumed through bamboo pipes.
Is it even possible to get pipe tobacco that I might recognise?
I will take a tin with me anyhow but would like to see what might be availabe otherwise.

How have folks, who have been there recently, found the experience?
Greetings from Viet Nam!!!

Lovely to hear you are going to visit our country. I am very new to pipe smoking but I believe I can supply you some piece of information that you are looking for.

Although cigs are the most popular here in Vietnam, and yes Vietnamese folks (especially those in the North) do prefer to smoke locally-grown tobacco from pongs made from bamboo (we call them ‘Thuoc Lao’), we do have pipe smoking communities, clubs and tobacco/pipe dealers here and there. I am not sure about other cities but from what I know, for sure you can purchase pipe tobacco in Sai gon, Ha Noi and Da Nang. You can contact them via Facebook messenger, place an order that they can deliver to you, or you can pay a visit their shops/ clubs and purchase directly.
Below are some tobacco dealers that I know:
In Ha Noi:
In Da Nang: you can contact me for support as I am living here ^^
In Saigon:
-https://www.facebook.com/pennsouls/
-https://www.pennsouls.com/thuoc-tau-cac-loai

If you are going to stay somewhere else, you can contact them, place the order and they can deliver it to you. (it takes 2-4 days for shipping throughout Vietnam)

Feel free to inbox me for any further infor. ^^

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for the replies folks, I expect itwill be very different than what I am used to here in NZ.
Tranphii - thanks for the information I will definately check it out. We are travelling the length of the country so will be in Da Nang at some point, i'll message you soon for more details.

Reactions: charf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my Vietnam experience was offshore on a minesweeper. However, in my later civilian career a number of my colleagues went to Vietnam on business. The main tip I picked up was from Ho Chi Minh City, formerly Saigon, where the traffic is incredibly dense, fast, and hectic, so if you have to cross a busy street, and you will, get with a crowd of pedestrians and keep moving no matter what. If you are caught out on the pavement alone, you life is in immediate peril.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never been to Asia myself but a teacher friend of mine signed on to teach English there for 15 months. He loved it so much he never came back.. He's been there for 6 years now. Finally married a lovely Vietnamese woman last year.

Kingdom Dokha

Lurker
Jan 15, 2020
There's a Thuoc Loa tobacco variety over there. It's a strain of rustica that's pretty popular. I had a friend come back from Vietnam with some it. Very interesting smoke. It really wasn't as harsh as I expected it to be considering the variety. Kind of reminded me of the Arabic dokha tobacco as far as the buzz and the long pipe. I would definitely recommend trying some of it out.

Reactions: anotherbob

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I went in 2005. Highlights were SaPa and Cat Ba island. You will eat very well my friend, for pennies at that. I was there 12 days. Spent $300 total and lived like a king the whole time.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.