PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I've watched Godless. It gets gradually better as it goes, because its a flashback driven series. You jump in somewhere in the middle of the story and then get fed bits and pieces of the past. There is some good acting and it has some star power. I think its ok. I'd give it 6.5/10 in my book. It's just kind of slow, I think it could have been done in half the episodes. But that goes for a lot of Netflix Originals. I would even prefer the old Young Guns movies over this one. Just my two pennies :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So what is a good follow up to Longmire? Something on that level of great acting, nothing gratuitous, plot-wise. I hate when I see a predictable cheap shot coming. Longmire often set you up for an easy cheap shot, then twisted it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've watched 4 episodes of Godless and the acting and story line are terrible. I think I'm done with it? I mean it's pretty awful.

Jan 8, 2013
I've watched 4 episodes of Godless and the acting and story line are terrible. I think I'm done with it? I mean it's pretty awful.
Well I guess not everyone can like it :rofl: Personally though, I found most of the actors pretty decent.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Man, I'm going to miss "Longmire." I joined Netflix just to follow that series after it was given the boot by A&E. (Aging fans skewed the demographic A&E was chasing. Consequently, A&E can blow me.) I really enjoyed the novels and short stories by Mr. Johnson and I hope he was pleased with the way they finished off this last season. It wasn't cheap, mawkish or maudlin. Some favorite characters stepped off the plank, relationships were cemented or left to the imagination and I appreciated the new beginnings so many of the main characters were embracing. It was a satisfying conclusion to a group of characters I enjoyed visiting week after week for quite a few years.
But "Godless" better than "Deadwood?" Madox, you're wrong, of course, but I promise to lead you into the light gently over several bourbons. This might make our cousins smile but that show was the first time I ever heard one man call another man a c*nt. Whoa, really? You can call a guy that?
Dan, our resident frogman is pretty keen on Amazon's "Tin Star" and it is, hands down, the best work Tim Roth has done in many years. A big plus is that the Canadian Rockies have never looked any prettier. Roth also calls one of his male deputies a "tit" and that was a new one for me.
Sorry for the slight detour, Anthony.
Fnord

Jan 8, 2013
Glad you enjoyed it Woodsroad. I just finished Longmire and I'm going to watch Godless a second time in between episodes of season 4 of Turn.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I liked Longmire, too. Now I have to find what to watch next. Maybe I'll pick up on the fourth season of Turn, based on Alexander Rose's book. Good historical drama.

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
I will confess to being disappointed in this series. The trailer sells a false bill of goods. I found the concept of a western town run completely by women interesting. I love westerns and this seemed like a neat angle to take. The trailer sold Jeff Daniels as some sort of bad guy positioned against the town. I was in. But the town is only a subplot (regretfully as it's the only part I found interesting) and the 3 main characters are all men. That only matters because the series was sold as one thing and is something else entirely. I won't be finishing it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Anthony, you missed your calling. You should have been a critic. As always, your post was insightful and a delight to read.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Roth also calls one of his male deputies a "tit" and that was a new one for me.
I've cued up to watch but haven't started. I am guessing Roth plays a Brit, and calling someone a tit is not unusual in the UK. But I don't think they use "tits up" for something that has gone very wrong or is dead. Could be way off on that. Can someone confirm?

popeofpiping

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
I found Godless to be excellent as well. The director could have veered far left with the whole town full of woman, but I was presently surprised that this was not the case. Interesting and entertaining yet a believable story line.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"That only matters because the series was sold as one thing and is something else entirely."
Your loss. I never watched the trailer, just read Anthony's teaser, and I was off to the races. My wife loved it too, BTW, and she's usually a lot more PC than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.