PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Per the article someone linked the bite comes from low ph caused either by a tobacco that is alkaline like a burley or a tobacco that is high in sugar and smoked to fast also resulting in low ph. So chemical induced tongue bite comes only from low ph, at least that’s the way I understood it.

Go back and read it over slowly. You missed that there are several parts involving heat, steam and water vapor that also change the conditions. ;)

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
+1 on the D&R blends. I dont think any blend will "hell" with bite but if you want to smoke through or keep smoking D&R, carter hall or butternut burley does the trick for me. Butternut burley cannot bite. At all

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Anyone else have a blend they turn to when the tongue starts to get sore?
Tobacco's/blends that give my tongue burn is usually at the start. I'll run a pipe cleaner through the stem when moisture start entering the mouthpiece mainly during the first 1/3 of the bowl. If the pipe wants to go out, let it. For me the act of trying to keep a pipe lit is a root cause for my tongue discomfort.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
When I have tongue bite I find that coating my tongue with a teaspoon of honey to be very soothing. Tea or coffee
with honey helps as well