PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Go Army. 10 years myself, father, grand father, and great grand father were all army.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
No matter who wins, Army/Navy games are some of the best football of the year. Usually decided by a few points between pretty well matched teams. Fun games to watch.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not a big college ball guy myself but, well . . . the Army-Navy game always gets my interest. Particularly like seeing those freshly scrubbed faces in their uniforms, willing to sacrifice everything for my welfare. The "march in" always stirs my blood and chokes me up a wee bit.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"The "march in" always stirs my blood and chokes me up a wee bit."
I was rheumy eyed the entire game, Warren. Those young men are the very best our country has to offer and the competitive spirit they bring to the field is an emotional roller coaster.
It's the most important game of the year on either school's schedule and the goal is always to "sing second." (The losing team sings their academy song first.)
Just for the record, I'm prejudiced as hell, okay? My dad and paternal grandfather were swabbies. My best friend in high school attended Canoe U. and still serves, my rabbi at this site served as a UDT/SEAL in SE Asia during the early 60's, my sons' favorite HS History teacher was a Seabee and one of my twin sons is currently at the half way mark going through The Basic School at Quantico. (My wife and I can't wait to hug that young 2nd Lt.'s neck when he comes home next Saturday.)
So, yeah. Go Navy! Beat Army!
But, in the meantime, give this book a glance when you have a moment: Joe Drape's "Soldiers First: Duty, Honor, Country, and Football at West Point." Here's a group of razor smart American youth - mostly engineering majors - overworked and academically pressured, working a Div I/II football schedule into one of the most demanding curriculum in the entire country. (BTW, I'm proud to be a native born Missourian, but the way Mizzou capitulated recently to a cry baby group of students demanding safe zones and various entitlements embarrasses me to death.)
Honestly, G-man. I would love to see West Point on the Hudson knock the squids on their ass sometime in the very near future.
Fnord

Proud as hell to cheer for either academy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both my father-in-laws were Army, my late wife's late dad in the Battle of the Bulge, and my wife's late dad in the trenches in France in WWI. But my dad was a minesweeper skipper in the Pacific in WWII, and my uncle a landing craft officer at Tarawa (first big amphibious battle of WWII), and I was a minesweeper radioman during Vietnam off the DMA, so it's Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.