PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBT

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
Central Oregon
Hey, all!

For those whom have tried GLP's VaPers (BTW, Union Square IS NOT a VaPer), would you share the pros/cons of the blends against one another? I'm venturing into the VaPer waters with Escudo, and from there would like to see how GLP plays the game. There appear to be a few offerings:
  • Telegraph Hill
  • Fillmore
  • Stratford
  • Others?
Have just spent the previous week assessing Union Square (pure VA) against Embarcadero (VA with Izmir) and have enjoyed the education. Time to venture on, just would like to borrow from the board's experience in the process!

Thanks so much,

Lee

IMO the Fog City Selections are all about the Virginias. He takes some horrible Virginias and tries to mask the fact that they are dry and bitey with other things. No, no, wait... he lets the condiments shine by not overpowering them with superior Virginias. Well... he uses San Francisco Virginias... no.... sorry... Ummmm... they are unique and flavorful, and you might find something you like, so buy one of each? Is that better?

Actually, I really enjoyed the Fog City stuff. Telegraph Hill being my favorite, as far as perique in that batch go. Laurel Heights would be my absolute fav in that batch, but no perique there... that I know about. But, in the beginning I felt that exploring the whole range of Fog City stuff, I really developed a better understanding of the condiments used. I am not that crazy about the Virginias he used or that his blender used for him. But, they are some tasty blends. Educational even. puffy

As far as his blend with perique that I like best, I really enjoy his Virginia Cream... it is interesting that he develops a whole new flavor with different levels of fairly common condimental leaves.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Telegraph Hill is one of my all time favorites. Fillmore is solid but not one that I reordered. And I never got around to Stratford. I would suggest taking a look at Sixpence. That blend is right up there with Telegraph Hill. Although, it does have a touch of dark fired in it.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Stonehenge Flake gets great reviews as well.

I have to revisit Vanilla Cream after @cosmicfolkore's recommendation. I have smoked one bowl from a tin a few years ago but have not gotten to know it much beyond that.

Reactions: LBT and kurtbob

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Out of this list, I've only tried Telegraph Hill. It took a month in a jar to really open up, but I really enjoy it. Prior to jarring it, my first few smokes of that blend were tough to get much flavor from it. That could very well be attributed to the thick humidity where I live. But like I said, after a month or so in a jar it really opened it up and is now a very flavorful smoke! Would love to try Fillmore next for more Perique.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I have smoked pounds and pounds of Telegraph Hill. It’s not in the same vein as the pressed VaPers you mentioned, a totally different animal. It’s very good but don’t expect the flavor profile of let’s say, Escudo. As others have said all of his blends benefit from aging and some exposure to some oxygen in a jar for some time (just my opinion). Good stuff all of them! Enjoy the journey!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I guess I’m in the minority by preferring Fillmore to Telegraph Hill. But both are certainly world class VaPers.

Where I think Pease really shines though is in his VaBurPers, or VaPer hybrids: Haddo’s Delight, Cumberland, Cairo, and Barbary Coast.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Telegraph Hill, Fillmore, Sixpence, Stonehenge....lot of rock solid releases under the GLP banner.

Not aimed back at anything specifically here, but I've found it odd that there's a big group of pipe smokers who bag on C&D Virginia's but then go ape over GLP. Different prep/blend....sure. But strikes me folks will call out C&D Virginia's as garbage, under-age leaf but then go "GLP Va/Per....so good!". Again, not aimed at any comments here, just a free 7pm hot take ;).

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've found it odd that there's a big group of pipe smokers who bag on C&D Virginia's but then go ape over GLP. Different prep/blend....sure. But strikes me folks will call out C&D Virginia's as garbage, under-age leaf but then go "GLP Va/Per....so good!". Again, not aimed at any comments here, just a free 7pm hot take ;).

I have the opposite problem. There are several C&D virginias I love whereas the Pease VA and VaPers tend to disappoint (with the exception of Penny Farthing).

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I have the opposite problem. There are several C&D virginias I love whereas the Pease VA and VaPers tend to disappoint (with the exception of Penny Farthing).

...and I dig C&D and GLP VA's but no beuno on Penny Farthing. Both lines should take pride on dialing in flavors to an extent they hit smokers so differently ? Until I read this thread, I thought Greg Pease made a blend only he apparently liked in Virginia Cream ("what if I made a VA/vanilla blend....where both components taste like smoking a sock recovered from a stormdrain?").....keep on rocking in the free world you crazy blenders!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Stonehenge is my fav by a mile, followed by Fillmore and Telegraph Hill. I recommend trying all 3. Of the VaPerKy blends, I'll take Cumberland or Triple Play over Penny Farthing or Sixpence. I like Cairo with some age on it. I'm not really one of them, but a lot of people adore Haddo's Delight. It's certainly worth trying for a very different VaBurPer.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I go with Sothron on GLP's riffs on VaPers. While I have a good stock of Fillmore, I really like Sixpence and Triple Play. Just love those two.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Fillmore is my favorite followed by Stratford. Stonehenge Flake as well. Didn't really care for Telegraph Hill.

Fillmore is a strong blend, both in flavor and nicotine. I love it though. Red Va's and Perique,.

Stratford is more closer to a straight VA than what I would consider a Va/per. It has just a sprinkling of perique but all around a really mellow, sweet and all day blend.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I think the concept of the whole fog city collection is interesting and pretty cool, all variations on a theme, certainly a way to learn about blending, VA’s and the individual components, and how they interact.

that being said I’ve only so far tried, Laurel Hights, Fillmore, and Embarcadero. I really loved Fillmore. I think it’s a pretty unique and flavorful VA/Per it changes through the bowl you get a journey though the different aspects of perique, the smoke is very full and creamy which I so far haven’t found in other VA/Per’s. So yeah I recommend that one. I’ve got some tins in my cell

I’ve got a tin of penny farthing, I’ve had a few bowls of it, but need to give it some more time before making a final call. But I can say that so far it’s enjoyable, I really like the shag cut, it burns well and makes for a nice short smoke. It’s more dark fired forward in flavor than perique. It reminded me of Dark Birdseye by G&H, but sweeter.

The last one I can comment on is Stonehenge Flake. It certainly lives up to its G&H co-heritage, it’s those Gawith wet jerky flakes, takes a long dry time to be workable but it’s worth it. I typically rub them out fully and then let it dry. It’s got a really interesting flavor profile, I wrote in my notes “tastes like jam on rye bread” it’s got nice little nutty spikes and fullness from the burley. The perique is likely contributing to that Jam quality, figgy and sweet, and also potentially that peppery rye flavor to some extent. I don’t get a ton of the cocoa topping that’s supposed to be there. There is a decent Nic hit that can sneak up on you. I do like this blend and have a few tins in the cellar.

all and all I think GLP VA/Pers are unique and worth trying! Enjoy the journey!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Not to be picky, but it's Virginia Cream. I think a lot of people made this mistake and didn't understand why they never got a vanilla taste from it, and were disappointed, thinking it was just a bad aromatic. But, it's not an aromatic at all.
Hmmmmm, it’s been a long time since I had it but I definitely remember it being a light aromatic. I’m pretty sure that’s how they marketed it too. I specifically remember a boozy vanilla topping in that blend but maybe my memory is failing me.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.