PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Preferred Member
Jun 30, 2015
Having the good fortune of picking up a 5 year old tin from Pipestud I thought I'd post some notes comparing it to fresh.
Fresh: Definitely can taste the dark fire with the peppery perique that comes off a bit harsh. The virginias are in the back ground as a little hay like and not sweet. Taste varies throughout the bowl, sometimes more dark fired and sometimes very peppery from the perique. Strong, definitely an after dinner smoke.
Aged: WOW. A much smoother smoke than the fresh. The perique is more raisiny and less peppery. The dark fire is not as strong and blends with the virginas to add molasses sweetness. A much more balanced smoke with the flavors merging and more consistent throughout the smoke. Still plenty of vitamin N but doesn't seem to hammer me like the fresh does. No harshness at all and definitely a 4 star experience.
I'm going to put some tins of this to the back of the cellar because aging really turns this blend into a gem.
I used a MM bent diplomat for this review.

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Excellent post! :clap:

Almost everyone wonders about the changes that ageing brings about -- especially with GLP's blends, which he claims are created with this in mind. Thanks for a good review.

badger

Jan 2, 2016
I had the good fortune to purchase a tin with 5 years on it from my local B&M a few years back. I was struck by how sweet and smooth it was for being a rather powerful smoke. A very nice combination. I've never tried it fresh so I'm glad to have your observations.

northernpipeshed

Jul 26, 2017
Agreed excellent post.....these aged v new reviews really help me to decide what I want to cellar.....which is important when I am paying about $12 an oz after customs and import duty and Vat and import vat....my god the list is endless...... 8O :lol:

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed a tin of Triple Play several years ago, and I believe the tin was somewhat fresh. I liked it that way. I don't remember it being harsh or edgy, just toward fuller strength and nicely balanced. I can see how some age would make it more mellow and subtle; it sounds excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.