PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Looking to explore the VaPer line of Pease blends, and wondering what the big differences are between them? To clarify, not interested in those that contain Lat. Thanks!

Reactions: danimalia

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
He has several. I am going through Telegraph Hill at the moment and it's a bit young and bright for me at first. It has very good potential for aging and it's noticable after being jarred for several weeks. I hope you took advantage of the sales as the GLP line is readily available and tasty!

Let us know what you pick up and how you like it.

The only VaPer that has a hint of latakia is Lombard, but I wouldn't discount it too fast. The latakia is so little that I argued with Greg himself that there was none. But, just the faintest hint of leathery chewiness. I love it, and i am NOT a latakia fan.

Haddos is one that I go cookoo for, but it has burley and an alcohol topping. It depends on how strict you are in what you are defining as a VaPer. It is worth trying though, IMO. It really zings on my taste buds, and delivers the nic kick in a very satisfying way.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Here's what I've had so far:

Triple Play - Love it. Stout with nicotine. It has dark-fired KY, but to me, this is primarily a Virginia-Perique blend.
Fillmore - Pretty heavy duty as well, with plenty of perique. It has a tiny bit of Latakia in there, but for me, it's basically not even noticeable. I think I detected the tiniest whisper in maybe one or two puffs out of all the bowls from my last tin, and I was looking for it.
Telegraph Hill - This is one I just recently bought and I like it a lot. This one seems a bit lighter in strength than the others and has plenty of bright, sweet flavors.
Stonehenge Flake - Manufactured by GHC, and is as much a Gawith tobacco as a GLP. It's great.
Haddo's Delight - Has some burley and black cav, but it's more or less a VaPer as far as I'm concerned. Has a topping. I like it, but it's fairly polarizing.

Still need to try Stratford and Penny Farthing.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Union Square seems to be the one that VaPer lovers most often recommend. I've got some aging, but having opened any as yet.

Oh, yes, and Penny Farthing is good stuff.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I've smoked Telegraph Hill and Sixpence.

I find Telegraph Hill to be mildly sweet with a decent spice kick when fresh. After a few years in the tin the roles reverse, more sweet with less spice. It always carries a prominent fresh baked bread type of flavor that I really enjoy.

Sixpence is a little more bold in the flavor department and strongly influenced by dark fired Kentucky with a boozy brown sugar sort of topping. I consider it more of a VA/KY than an VA/Per. It may not be what you're looking for in a VA/Per blend but the tin description is one that absolutely nobody should miss out on.

"You enter the dark paneled room, its walls lined with ancient books. An antique table stands beside a leather club chair. Upon it, next to a small silver coin, an open tobacco tin entices you with an aroma deep, rich, authentic. You fill your bowl, strike a match. The first puff stops time as the smoky magic weaves its spell .... Sixpence. The mystery continues."

What's not to like about that?

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had Haddos', wasn't for me I don't think. Too boozy maybe? Or perhaps could have been the burley addition. Either way, I do enjoy Stonehenge and Penny Farthing, but was looking for more straight VaPer blends. I'll give Telegraph Hill a go, as Lombard on Cosmic's recommendation. Sixpence also sounds interesting, as I do enjoy a VaKy blend.

What about Cumberland? Seems to be one of the older blends in the lineup?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I liked Telegraph Hill at lot and am looking forward to breaking open a 15 year old tin one of these days. The Lat in Filmore is very light, about 1/2%, but I taste it. Liked Sixpence very much, and Haddo's is a favorite. Cumberland is very good with a few years in the tin, otherwise a bit bland. Definitely worth picking up a few tins and tucking away for later.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had Haddos', wasn't for me I don't think. Too boozy maybe? Or perhaps could have been the burley addition. Either way, I do enjoy Stonehenge and Penny Farthing, but was looking for more straight VaPer blends. I'll give Telegraph Hill a go, as Lombard on Cosmic's recommendation. Sixpence also sounds interesting, as I do enjoy a VaKy blend.

What about Cumberland? Seems to be one of the older blends in the lineup?
I just finished a tin of Cumberland. I liked it alright, but JackKnife just scratches that itch a lot better for me. They're not identical, as Cumberland has perique, and probably less DFK than JackKnife, but they're close enough that having a clear favorite means I probably won't be stocking up on second fiddle. My tin was only a few months old, though, and I haven't had any aged.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Stratford and Fillmore are my favorite.

Telegraph Hill is just okay to me. Stonehenge flake is another winner and Haddos Delight for those rare occasions.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Just goes to show. The latakia in Fillmore was highly noticeable to me. So much so that, after the first bowl, I gifted the rest of the tin.

Union Square, I'll agree, was the standout here.

Status
Not open for further replies.