PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I tried this one back in 2012 when I was still quite wet behind the ears in the pipe world. I hadn't yet gotten into the pipe shows. I was still very much hooked on aromatics. I saw this tin at a local shop and figured I'd give it a go, because everyone here on the forums were talking about Greg's blends.
What I remember most about the first go around with it was that it knocked my on my keester. This blend was considerably stronger than anything I'd had up to that point. I also didn't know to eat meal before it, stay hydrated, have some chocolate afterwards to calm everything down. I did like the flavors, but wasn't really able to pin them down so much other than that.
I just got a tin from SmokingPipes #ShamelessPlug a few weeks ago. This tin is dated 5/4/17, so we're just under a year's worth of age on it from tinning. I'm currently getting through my first bowl just after dinner. Tin note is VERY much those wonderful sweet fruity notes with a bit of hay and some bready tones as well. Very nice VA aromas. The moisture level was pretty good. I could see how some people might rub out the flakes and let it sit for a while before putting flame to it. Right off the char light you get those dark sweet wonderful fruit flavors, the figs/raisins. Really nice. A little ways into the blend the bready and hay notes start coming into the profile. They're even more enhanced through a retrohale. After that everything kind of takes turn coming to the forefront making this Virginia offering more complex than most. The nicotine isn't hitting me as hard as it did before. It's noticeable, but not quite getting overwhelming; just tip toeing the line for me personally.
I"m glad I've revisited this blend. I think I'll probably keep a few tins in the cellar and at least go through one every summer. This is a wonderful afternoon/evening summertime offering. Have yourself a nice picnic with the Mrs. and after a good sandwich this will be divine with a cool glass of lemonade.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for a nice write-up. GLP has what I call a signature style: there can be many components, but there is great clarity and definition. The different components are all players, but there's no competition. As JimInks says, there's no crowding of flavors.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Makes me want to crack the 5 y/o 8 oz canister in the cellar. Released in 2009. Buy now before its gone.
My God! it's got to be shattering to have such talent and to have labored so long to have half of his oeuvre vanquished by a crew of bureaucrats let loose on the glory that was Pease blends, among others, of the sacred plant tobacco. 12,000 y/o seeds discovered in the Great Basin. Tobacco may be down but it's certainly not gone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like a lot of complexity, though this is a straight Virginia. Does anyone know if it is a composite of varietals or all one source? Sounds really good.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I've been working through an 8 oz tin I jarred up back in 2012. I never had it fresh, so I can't speak to how it aged. It's a great smoke in the morning for me. As a matter of fact it's a great smoke anytime of the day...looks like I just figured out what I'm going to smoke tonight!

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Nice review. I have a tin in the cellar that is pushing 2 years. Going to let it keep aging but can't wait to try it. I may have to order a couple more tins of it and crack a freshie to compare.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Great review! My two cents is I just bought some of this fresh to try to find out if I'd like this straight VA as much as I like some others that I've tried. Fresh out of the tin it has the wonderful pure Virginia smell, a little vinegar/spice that you want.
I smoked it in a cob last night and then my little Lovat today. I'm not much for description, but this stuff is good. It's sweet and tangy and makes my mouth water, for more. Only two smokes and I don't feel I have enough. If it tastes this good now, and as you all say it betters with age, I'm glad I found the pipe when I did, and I will definitely pick up some more for my future self.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Does C&D have something similar that won't get the ax when/if deeming happens?
US is great, but unfortunately it wasn’t produced until after the seeming date. I’m stocking the cellar with it. C&D also makes a great VA flake, known as Opening Night. It’s a regular in my rotation. It’s been around prior to the 2007 deeming date, so it’s safe. I also highly recommend Yorktown (also C&D). It’s a ribbon cut, and available in bulk.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's supposed to have the least amount of conditioners of almost any blend out there. It's one of the tobaccos that I wish I'd have smoked before I stopped.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Union square was the first Peasean tobacco I tried. I found it very different from what I was expecting, being used to more traditional European and Scottish/English Virginia presentations. My first impression was "thin, light, highly citrus but counter-intuitively, creamy." It took me a whole tin to figure out why Mr Pease had chosen this palate. While smoking some of his other blends, I formed an impression of his House Style.

I only smoked a 2oz tin and kind of moved on but I do intend to revisit Union Square, hopefully with some age on it.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
One of the things I like most about the Pease blends is the attention given to the mouthfeel. A huge part of the experience that many blenders don’t seem to emphasize.
Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.